A Tale of the White Trout, from W.B. Yeats

Dark Horse

New
Reaction score
1713988589057.png

William Butler Yeats included this tale in his collection "Fairy and Folk Tales of the Irish Peasantry", 1888. It was a legend of Cong, originally picked up by Samuel Lover from the old women who lived in that area.

The Tale

Once upon the time there was a beautiful lady who lived near the lake, she was promised to a king's son and soon they were soon to be married; but he was murdered and thrown into the lake. She was so sad that she went out of her mind and disappeared after him. It was said the fairies took her away. In those days a White Trout was seen in the lake for the first time and people didn't know what to think about this creature who was so white. Year after year the trout was seen there and people began to think it must be a fairy so they never caught it.

One day some soldiers came to this area and laughed at the village people who believed the White Trout was a fairy; one of them decided to catch it and cook it in a frying-pan. When he put the trout in the pan it screamed as a human creature but he turned it over the other side to fry it better and ignored the screams. He kept doing that several times but there was no sign of the trout starting to cook. This villain said: "My jolly little trout, maybe you are fried enough and you are better than you look" and he put the knife into the fish. Again the trout screamed but this time it jumped out of the frying-pan on to the floor.

Suddenly a beautiful lady appeared, she was dressed in white and gold and her arm was bleeding. She said: "Look where you cut me, you villain!" she said, holding out her arm to him, "Couldn't leave me cool and comfortable in the lake and not disturb me in my duty?". The soldier was very scared and trembling all over like a dog in a wet sack, he begged for his life and asked for the lady's pardon. The lady said: "I was on duty waiting for my true love, if he comes while I am away, I'll turn you into a pinkeen, and I'll hunt you up and down until grass grows and water runs!". The soldier begged for her mercy and so the lady said: "Renounce your evil life, be a good man in future, go to your duty regularly and now take me back and put me into the lake again, where you found me."

The lady vanished and there the soldier saw the little trout, he put it in a clean plate and ran away toward the lake. He threw it into the lake and the water became red as blood for a little while and to this day there is a little red mark on the trout's side where it was cut.

The soldier became a good man and went to his duty three times a week and at last he turned hermit and he used to pray evermore for the soul of the White Trout.

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score
View attachment 5243

William Butler Yeats included this tale in his collection "Fairy and Folk Tales of the Irish Peasantry", 1888. It was a legend of Cong, originally picked up by Samuel Lover from the old women who lived in that area.

The Tale

Once upon the time there was a beautiful lady who lived near the lake, she was promised to a king's son and soon they were soon to be married; but he was murdered and thrown into the lake. She was so sad that she went out of her mind and disappeared after him. It was said the fairies took her away. In those days a White Trout was seen in the lake for the first time and people didn't know what to think about this creature who was so white. Year after year the trout was seen there and people began to think it must be a fairy so they never caught it.

One day some soldiers came to this area and laughed at the village people who believed the White Trout was a fairy; one of them decided to catch it and cook it in a frying-pan. When he put the trout in the pan it screamed as a human creature but he turned it over the other side to fry it better and ignored the screams. He kept doing that several times but there was no sign of the trout starting to cook. This villain said: "My jolly little trout, maybe you are fried enough and you are better than you look" and he put the knife into the fish. Again the trout screamed but this time it jumped out of the frying-pan on to the floor.

Suddenly a beautiful lady appeared, she was dressed in white and gold and her arm was bleeding. She said: "Look where you cut me, you villain!" she said, holding out her arm to him, "Couldn't leave me cool and comfortable in the lake and not disturb me in my duty?". The soldier was very scared and trembling all over like a dog in a wet sack, he begged for his life and asked for the lady's pardon. The lady said: "I was on duty waiting for my true love, if he comes while I am away, I'll turn you into a pinkeen, and I'll hunt you up and down until grass grows and water runs!". The soldier begged for her mercy and so the lady said: "Renounce your evil life, be a good man in future, go to your duty regularly and now take me back and put me into the lake again, where you found me."

The lady vanished and there the soldier saw the little trout, he put it in a clean plate and ran away toward the lake. He threw it into the lake and the water became red as blood for a little while and to this day there is a little red mark on the trout's side where it was cut.

The soldier became a good man and went to his duty three times a week and at last he turned hermit and he used to pray evermore for the soul of the White Trout.

what do you make of the song of wandering angus.

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score
A lesson to be learned, one our political masters should learn to stop chasing their ambition and be content with how Great Ireland was.

View: https://youtu.be/cN_VPtGfsw0

Yeats wrote for those who would take the trouble to learn the language he was writing in .
simply reading his lovely words would fill you with wonder and you by instinct knew the words were profound but you /i did not have the profound knowledge of the language /references he was using to know what was he really saying in his story/poetry .
we Irish are informed we are guilty of original sin when we are born and even guilty of it in the womb --this is of course is a thoroughly evil construct by evil people intent on robbing us of whatever they can -- therefore by their own hand --these people are not christian .
you will find it hard to believe but --The technical ""christian"" theological description of original sin is "" hereditary depravity "" we are evil even in the womb.
women are informed Eve was seduced by GODS evil assistant the serpent in the garden of evil ,
and she took a bite of the apple of the tree of knowledge and passed it to Adam .
this evil event blamed women for the loss of eternal life without pain or want for all time in the wonderful garden of Eden .
we were therefore poisoned against each other and women were told their monthly pains were inflicted for their treachery stupidity and lust.
not a good start from god -- about as bad as it can get really.
Yeats studied the Hindu sacred books THE VEDAS and gave 2 years of his life at the end in Madeira to write the 12 principal Upanishads with Sanscrit scholar Shree Pruiot Swami .
This small book allowed me to study the Upanishads formally for some time years ago,
as i wanted to make sense of the world and it also took me to India .
in the song of Wandering Angus he meets a glimmering girl ==light is knowledge and he seeks like me all his days the knowledge he suspects will lead him to the location of the true god ----also stated by Jesus ""GOD IS WITHIN YOU "" increased knowledge of god is the highest thing any human can aspire to as it allows the person to become godlike in their consciousness .
the Hindu garden of Eden is located on mount Meru and there any person can turn up and go to the tree of knowledge and without any price or permission from anyone ""PLUCK TILL TIME AND TIMES ARE DONE ---THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE MOON -- THE SILVER APPLES OF THE SUN ""

Last edited:

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
I first read this story a while ago and was left nonplussed, is this the best that the giant Yeats could come up with? Are we to throw ourselves at his feet because of this simple tale poorly told? Sorry, but I just experience a hurriedly jotted note rather than any great truth unveiled.

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score
I first read this story a while ago and was left nonplussed, is this the best that the giant Yeats could come up with? Are we to throw ourselves at his feet because of this simple tale poorly told? Sorry, but I just experience a hurriedly jotted note rather than any great truth unveiled.
explaining to womankind and to mankind how the greatest confidence trick ever played on humanity for all time works -- without malice or comment on the people who were doing this evil .
and even avoiding the word evil altogether in order to leave the landscape free for a joyful understanding of how you can with out payment to anyone enjoy the garden of Eden as is your god given right .
and how you become godlike as your knowledge/ understanding of god increases each hour is no mean achievement,
and i have not read anything which comes close except the words of Christ that god is within you.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
As an amazing coincidence. I finally got around to reading this book now.
It has a mention of Yeats as an aside. That is all it says and I am on page 305.

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
explaining to womankind and to mankind how the greatest confidence trick ever played on humanity for all time works -- without malice or comment on the people who were doing this evil .
and even avoiding the word evil altogether in order to leave the landscape free for a joyful understanding of how you can with out payment to anyone enjoy the garden of Eden as is your god given right .
and how you become godlike as your knowledge/ understanding of god increases each hour is no mean achievement,
and i have not read anything which comes close except the words of Christ that god is within you.
You'll have to excuse me Aul Lad, that deeper meaning escapes me, I wonder if you might explain?

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with you, Mad as Fish, its not an earth shattering tale? But of course he must be a great hero in the Occult, doing these 'dissociation' type rituals that Declan mentions.

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not suggesting you are in it Aul Lad, but ultimately in the Occult world the leaders consider themselves as Gods, and we are the cattle to be culled.

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
I agree with you, Mad as Fish, its not an earth shattering tale? But of course he must be a great hero in the Occult, doing these 'dissociation' type rituals that Declan mentions.
It is also abridged to a certain extent for at least one other version tells us that her murdered lover appeared as a white trout in the lake first and the pair could be seen swimming together, rather than her alone.

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score
Declan
we depend on the true poets to investigate the world around us and most especially the vast power within us which those who wish to control us deny as knowledge of this power would diminish and defeat them.
to do that you have to take risks for your art -- you have to not alone dabble in the occult but go as far as its humanly possible with the most renowned practitioners of all arts in order to tell US what he has discovered on his many and varied journeys to find the truth of our existance.
this has been the true role of the poet for centuries --you refer to leaders --there was no price i paid to read his poetry --i am not described by anyone as a leader .
people like Paul Simon take ayuska and use it to write songs and i was present at his concert in Dublin when he told us all to take it ,
which i said only a Jewish person would tell the goy to take drugs and lo and behold he is Jewish.
a true artist like Yeats would tell you the power is within .
its not chemical its natural and everyone has the same vast amount--- from beggar to pope -- LEADERS as you describe them have no more than beggars .
people experimented with LSD in the 70s and for a period some music reflected the chemical input but the chemical input was only distorting the real power of the mind and in a short space of time it was observed that the most talented gave up drugs altogether as they realized it was destroying the true power the mind to create and they would cease to be musicians as the chemical did not allow the mind to hear or to speak.
the core of us --our consciousness as human beings is what Yeats wrote about and it is majestic and terrifying in its vast power .
it is so vast and powerful those who have never studied it with the help of a teacher naturally do not see it ,
and this is your problem Declan and mad as a fish .
I spent much of my life searching for access to myself and the power within which i experienced for about 40 seconds as a 16 year old .
it was a little terrifying and i had never read of anyone else having the same experience and as a kid this unsettled me ---but when the internet came i found it (SUPERCONSCIOUSNESS) was quite common worldwide amongst young men transiting to adulthood ,
and many people referred to as mystics had access to their own minds which unsettled those who did not ,
and they frequently killed them believing their powers were supernatural as they were denied any training in their own lives as is the norm today -- nobody is taught about themselves and the power of their mind .
being an oddball is at times a lonely job but the world changes direction only when steered in an other direction by an oddball who is generally cursed while doing so .
Edgar Cayce was made a fellow of the American medical association --- he was the first to admit he never read a medical book in his entire life and knew nothing about medicine -- 2 USA presidents consulted him but only while he was asleep as he had no access to his mind otherwise .
When asked to explain his powers he said the best he could come up with was he had the same access Christ had to his mind and he called this gift ""Christ level ""
a little PC woke dribble about not discriminating about mental health is not study of the self and that is all the powers that be allow today ,
Yeats went his own road and put it beautifully for those who took the effort to get an understanding of the generally unseen /unacknowledged vastness of the power he wrote about.

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score
I guess maybe I was wrong above then, maybe you are involved with the Occult?
This piece i wrote does not deal with the occult it deals with consciousness .
you have not bothered to read a word i wrote and are merely entertaining yourself but sadly nobody else.
i have looked at your work elsewhere and you normally have a higher standard and actually contribute something.

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score
I read it twice.

What happened at 16 for 40 seconds.

Asking for @Myles O'Reilly
Some many years ago i was asked to write this during a writing course --it will have to do hopefully.
******i have tried to send a doc from word but it wont allow me states its not supported here .

Last edited:

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeats was an occultist who was a member of the order of the golden dawn. He kicked Alistair Crowley down a staircase during a meeting once, apparently.

Popular Threads

Top Bottom