My solution to the drugs problem.

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
Too Totalitarian to Talk - Very Very Scary Town
Why bother targeting dealers? It's the users who drive demand.
Because when you're talking about users you don't take into account who the users are, instead you appear to single out a narrow demograph of hairy lefty types, yes?🤨

Whereas, if we were to drug test at every concert venue, football stadium, nightclub, pub, daíl, boxing club, hair salon etc etc we'd find that there are 100,000's of otherwise apparently sensible, hardworking, productive people who are going to face your punishment squad's.

You'd be chased out of town if you were lucky!!🥳

free and clean

Reaction score
Because when you're talking about users you don't take into account who the users are, instead you appear to single out a narrow demograph of hairy lefty types, yes?🤨

Whereas, if we were to drug test at every concert venue, football stadium, nightclub, pub, daíl, boxing club, hair salon etc etc we'd find that there are 100,000's of otherwise apparently sensible, hardworking, productive people who are going to face your punishment squad's.

You'd be chased out of town if you were lucky!!🥳
I do take it into account. They're selfish individuals who don't care that they contribute to misery and suffering and war and poverty through their choices.

I don't infantilise them like you do.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Frank I think Saul was talking about heroin dealers as opposed to coke.

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
I don't infantilise them like you do.
Will you elaborate further on that please, I ask because the comment is just to generalised to make sense as i understand it.
Sure there is an absence of personal and societal obligation/responsibility with some of the users, but the same can be said about society in regard to Drugs:geek:

Last edited:

free and clean

Reaction score
Frank I think Saul was talking about heroin dealers as opposed to coke.
The dealers are supplying to scum who drive demand. These scumbags could choose to quit if they wanted to, but refuse to do so. Why should we be targeting the dealers when it's the users driving the demand for more and more drugs.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
If you're talking about sink estates being flooded with heroin by these people then you're talking out your Áras Frank.

If you're talking about the middleclass coke head then I'd agree with you.

free and clean

Reaction score
If you're talking about sink estates being flooded with heroin by these people then you're talking out your Áras Frank.

If you're talking about the middleclass coke head then I'd agree with you.
People have free will. Nobody forces them to take drugs. Many people in sink estates don't take drugs. People constantly stop taking drugs - which makes a mockery of the concept of "addiction".

free and clean

Reaction score
Will you elaborate further on that please, I ask because the comment is just to generalised to make sense as i understand it.
Sure there is an absence of personal and societal obligation/responsibility with some of the users, but the same can be said about society in regard to Drugs:geek:
Not some; all of them. I work in an area of Dublin with a high concentration of users and I see the mayhem they cause every day, from hassling people entering shops to conjuring up whatever bullshit lie (usually involving children) they can come up with to trick old dears into giving them money; to annoying business owners and all the rest.

They're manipulative and aggressive and a gigantic fking pain in the hole. I don't think they should be Molly coddled and treated as victims of big bad society when they choose to engage in this reckless behaviour.

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
There's another side to Drug Use which may not be apparent to all ,and that side is 'The Pain' - And managing the Pain.
Look at us, what do we commentators know about our pain or their pains (Ok, I'm a pain for exploring their pain:giggle:) but I write this now because of my pain which is ongoing 24/7 for the last 10 weeks and consequently have been using large amounts of Ibuprofen nightly and daily if driving for long periods.
I've never pills used like this before but having to do so has given me some insight into other peoples drug use.

Now part of the Painful life is that despite having swallowed 4 times the dose which allows sleep in the first place, the pain comes back and wakes one up constantly over the short night, so that when one gets out of bed 4-5 hours later, one is still very tired.

One does the best to start the day but the pain creeps back little by little - It's always there, and as recently learned - It fecks ones life right up.

Now I'm simply referring to a trapped nerve here, and it makes me laugh to think that a pain in the backside n leg can totally change ones life and sort of keep them house bound - Until they have a solution - A Fix!

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
There's another side to Drug Use which may not be apparent to all ,and that side is 'The Pain' - And managing the Pain.
Look at us, what do we commentators know about our pain or their pains (Ok, I'm a pain for exploring their pain:giggle:) but I write this now because of my pain which is ongoing 24/7 for the last 10 weeks and consequently have been using large amounts of Ibuprofen nightly and daily if driving for long periods.
I've never pills used like this before but having to do so has given me some insight into other peoples drug use.

Now part of the Painful life is that despite having swallowed 4 times the dose which allows sleep in the first place, the pain comes back and wakes one up constantly over the short night, so that when one gets out of bed 4-5 hours later, one is still very tired.

One does the best to start the day but the pain creeps back little by little - It's always there, and as recently learned - It fecks ones life right up.

Now I'm simply referring to a trapped nerve here, and it makes me laugh to think that a pain in the backside n leg can totally change ones life and sort of keep them house bound - Until they have a solution - A Fix!
I suggest that you do some internet checking as to what taking too much Ibuprofen does to the human body !

I am of the thinking that too much Ibuprofen is very bad for you ~ ~ Just from what I have garnered over the last few years ~ ~ Once I had some leg ulcers ~ ~ Did some amateur medical thinking without doing any research ~ ~ Took some Ibuprofen thinking it would help with the inflammation only to find Ibuprofen only makes things worse in this situation ( research and experience after taking the Ibuprofen )

Anyways ~ As I understand it ~ ~ You need to be careful with the taking of Ibuprofen ! ! !

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
So, stop being a pain and go to the doctor like everybody else does, i hear you say? Yes agreed, let's go to the doctors and get some sleeping tablets!
Because now the problem is also insomnia - nightly! But the problem is that the doctor doesn't give sleeping tablets or in theory doesn't give out much in that line - And that's where the patient starts to explore other suppliers for the Drugs they need to survive the days & nights of their painful lives.

The Doctors refuse to dispense treatment, so now the Patient goes to a dealer who supplies the drugs which Fix the life, and let's not forget - When the pain is so very very very bad, one will do anything to escape it!!😐

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
Thanks for your input Clarke-Connolly, I just read it now. But guess what?? I was unable to get registered with a GP in the last 3-4 months and only just got it sorted on Friday last,

Which sort of shows how sometimes people have little choice but to self medicate and as said above, when things feel terribly painful day after day after day then one becomes desperate and does desperate things, that has been a new personal insight of late.

The subject of Drug use is complex and requires much understanding of the many different aspects.
etc etc . . .

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Clarke-Connolly, I just read it now. But guess what?? I was unable to get registered with a GP in the last 3-4 months and only just got it sorted on Friday last,

Which sort of shows how sometimes people have little choice but to self medicate and as said above, when things feel terribly painful day after day after day then one becomes desperate and does desperate things, that has been a new personal insight of late.

The subject of Drug use is complex and requires much understanding of the many different aspects.
etc etc . . .
But is shooting drug dealers all that bad = = After-all they know what they are getting in to = = Getting shot should just be an occupational hazard for all drug dealers ! ! !

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
But is shooting drug dealers all that bad = = After-all they know what they are getting in to = = Getting shot should just be an occupational hazard for all drug dealers ! ! !

From my present POV there are several different aspects to being a Dealer (I don't have much experience of Hard Drug dealers) But from reading the papers and studies it appears that they make it their life's business to supply a demand. Should they be shot for that?
Should they be shot for that? Why so? First we must examine the responsibilities and characteristics of a Dealer and the effect of the dealers business within the community/society.

1. They are unlicensed to dispense dangerous drugs & hazardous substances to the public - But do dispense.
2. They are unregistered as a business to sell product to the public - They do sell.
3. They T & C's of their business as suppliers are recognised to be extortionate, illegal & fatal. - They do kill.

Man . . . This post could go on all morning and in fairness to free and clean we also can ask 'what the hell do users think they're getting into/supporting and maintaining??

So many different aspects to consider, and lets not forget that dealers are often users themselves . . .

There's a particular class of Dealer though, whose business activities have been instrumental in the destruction and deaths of people which would not have happened had not the Dealer been in operation, should the local community have seriously warned the dealer to cease operations but would not heed or should a new dealer appear in a distressed community and ignore warnings ??

They will get what has been promised. Dealers are not the only ones to call the shots and if Dealers are calling the shots, then they will also be in the firing line.

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
Be a drug dealer if you choose ~ ~ But it should also be an occupational hazard to be shot for being a drug dealer ~ ~ Drug dealing should be bad for your health as part of being a drug dealer.

Last edited:

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
Be a drug dealer if you choose ~ ~ But it should also bean occupational hazard to be shot for being a drug dealer ~ ~ Drug dealing should be bad for your health as part of being a drug dealer.
Sure there are penalties for the individual activities of the Heavy Drug Dealer, and sure they themselves will directly threaten the lives of the users who fail to honour the T & C's of their business.

See one must consider though what F & C said, in that it is the users choice to full engage with such a dreadful business to that persons detriment, pursuing the heroin etc etc over time leading to impoverishment, degradation & death.

The arguments need further investigation.

Yes though, dealers operate outside the law and they will encounter community protectors/vigilante's who also operate outside the law - Both carry weapons etc . . .

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
How's it looking today?

. . . "Cocaine was the most common drug reported, accounting for one-in-three cases followed by opioids - mainly heroin - and cannabis and benzodiazepines.

Cocaine was the most common main drug among new cases in 2023, accounting for almost half (46%) of new cases.

In 2023, 4,923 cases were recorded with cocaine as a main problem.

There was a 228% increase in the number of cases where cocaine was the main problem drug between 2017 and 2023.

Powder cocaine increased by 197% during this time and crack cocaine increased by 594%." . . .

and

" A shopkeeper-drug dealer told Gardai "I’m fucked now" when they walked in on him in the kitchen of his small grocery shop in Limerick, preparing over €208,000 worth of cocaine in mixing bowls.

Surrounded by white powder, weighing scales, a blender and mixing bowls, Declan Sheehy, (58), told Gardai the cocaine was his.

The father-of-four also admitted he owned €58,000 cash, found by gardai in a couch at the shop and at his home, of which €51,000 was deemed by the court to be the proceeds of crime . . . . .

It appears that Cocaine use must be so normalised in parts of Limerick (and the rest of Ireland??) that the above supplier felt quite at home, literally(relaxed and not a bother) to operate from a fixed location on the high street.

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
I just had to post a snippet of what is typical of Ireland's hidden Drug Scene.
This being @valamhic 's own old (and rarely contributed to) thread, and thought it was appropriate to post the recent trends/view on Ireland's Cocaine use . . .

. . . . Sophie* is 30 years old. She started using cocaine when she was 26, taking it for the first time at a house party.
“There wasn’t a huge amount of thought went into it,” she says. She had been drinking beforehand. The cocaine made her feel more confident but also very anxious, but says she has never done anything she regrets while high.

That party wasn’t the first time she had been offered cocaine. A couple of years earlier, while working in a bank, she was offered cocaine by colleagues, including a manager, she says, while on a work night out.

She says she takes cocaine a few times a year and gets it through people that her friends know. But she wouldn’t be afraid to go through a dealer herself, she says. “I’ve been there when they bought it. It’s just very normal people ... If I met them on the street, I’d just think they had an ordinary job. That they were not involved in any form of criminality.”

In response;) to this . . .

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ihlylmSDaU&lc=Ugynt4zX1F1zKcdDwSJ4AaABAg

Professor

Reading a Good Book
Reaction score
"Organised crime gangs are inflicting drug-related intimidation and violence in cities, towns and villages across Ireland, and are luring vulnerable young people into criminality at an early age," Mr Reid said.

"We can clearly tell that vulnerable groups and disadvantaged communities suffer disproportionately."

He said the Citizens' Assembly wanted to break the cycle of criminality associated with drug use and the state’s response has not evolved in decades.

Popular Threads

Top Bottom