Time to form a Clan

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
It's time for die hard Gaels to form a Clan.

Last edited by a moderator:

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
Well one thing that I think Irish people could do now, is insist that the phrase Irish is applied to those of Irish ethnicity, race, only. I think that is both respectful of the antiquity and uniqueness of the Irish race, and also respectful of the unique, and frequently magnificent, cultures that many immigrants to Ireland come from.

A simple analogy: if I went to live in Japan for no matter how long, they are not going to look upon me as Japanese and, more to the point, I would be extremely offended if they did, because I am Irish! Why in contrast are the Irish race to be treated as some makeshift wish washy thing that anybody can have who just rocks up here, its disrespectful to us and them?

And yes that's also true of the subsequent generations, I would hope my descendants, if I had any in Japan would consider themselves Irish as well. The Normans who came to Ireland did not dare call themselves Irish for many hundreds of years after they landed, because they were very proud of their own ancestry, and because so were the Irish, who therefore would not let them use that title! That's why you have 'Irishtown's beside many of the ancient towns and cities of Ireland, that's where the Irish lived obviously. Meaning then that the Normans themselves did not consider themselves Irish at that time, hundreds of years after the invasion.

Anyway I see many people doing this now on facebook and twitter and I think they are right. It's dissapointing to cause or support any kind of rancour between people, especially some people who might be representing us in sports etc, but I think at this point that little bit of protection of our race is now necessary.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Only people that pride themselves on being irish belong, those advocating for legal immigration are worse than those that say they want open or no borders. I hope to have more time for this effort.

Yank Blow-In

New
Reaction score
Well one thing that I think Irish people could do now, is insist that the phrase Irish is applied to those of Irish ethnicity, race, only. I think that is both respectful of the antiquity and uniqueness of the Irish race, and also respectful of the unique, and frequently magnificent, cultures that many immigrants to Ireland come from.

A simple analogy: if I went to live in Japan for no matter how long, they are not going to look upon me as Japanese and, more to the point, I would be extremely offended if they did, because I am Irish! Why in contrast are the Irish race to be treated as some makeshift wish washy thing that anybody can have who just rocks up here, its disrespectful to us and them?

And yes that's also true of the subsequent generations, I would hope my descendants, if I had any in Japan would consider themselves Irish as well. The Normans who came to Ireland did not dare call themselves Irish for many hundreds of years after they landed, because they were very proud of their own ancestry, and because so were the Irish, who therefore would not let them use that title! That's why you have 'Irishtown's beside many of the ancient towns and cities of Ireland, that's where the Irish lived obviously. Meaning then that the Normans themselves did not consider themselves Irish at that time, hundreds of years after the invasion.

Anyway I see many people doing this now on facebook and twitter and I think they are right. It's dissapointing to cause or support any kind of rancour between people, especially some people who might be representing us in sports etc, but I think at this point that little bit of protection of our race is now necessary.

Great post, Scolaire. Hitler allegedly referred to America as a mongrel nation and after 1965, it has gradually become one. God forbid the same fate befall Ireland or any other relatively homogeneous European ethno-state.

The clock is ticking...

Popular Threads

Top Bottom