The Gemma Thread.

Tuco Salamanca

Reaction score
Yeah I went through a stage last year of listening to a ton of these. What’s clear is that there are genuine ones and ones where people have clearly made it up and are trying to sell books.

The majority of the evangelical American ones are spoofers. Amongst all the chancers, there is a small cohort that ring through.

Spoofers?

What makes you say that? And are the ones whose experience conveniently happens to comport with your Catholic world view not "spoofers"?

Last edited:

Tuco Salamanca

Reaction score
Despite some features common to all, NDE's seem to be to a large extent shaped by the individuals cultural environment.
Here is an interesting look at the NDEs of Thai Buddhists.

Yamatoots
One motif that occurs in nine of my ten cases of Thai NDEs is that Yamatoots. Yamatoots are messengers sent from Yama's office, which Phra Malaya located in the center of hell, to take the dying person to see Yama. One account of a premortem visitation includes the gradual approach of a pair of Yamatoots. Yamatoots can have many different appearances. My cases include "two white-robed young men," a classical Yamatoot three times life size, and a group of three wearing turbans, while the most common instances are of a pair of Yamatoots that come to take the NDEr. Yamatoots state their business very directly in Thai NDEs.
They are truly "fell sergeants and strict in their arrest." One told an NDEr that it was time to die and be taken for judgment. Another simply announced: "We've come to take you to hell." Two of my Thai accounts are of NDEs happening to the same people twice. In one of these cases, the same Yamatoot appeared twice. In Bangkok I saw a motorcycle safety poster showing two men on motorcycles, one weaving wildly in and out of traffic, with a Yamatoot on the back of his bike, the other staying in line, with an angel for a passenger. Yamatoots appear often in Thai popular comics, advertisements, religious morality books and posters, and popular television.

Tiger

Reaction score
Spoofers?

What makes you say that? And are the ones whose experience conveniently happens to comport with your Catholic world view not "spoofers"?
Don’t get me wrong. There are people who are recorded as being clinically dead in hospitals that have had these experiences. People who have died in plane crashes etc… I think their experiences are genuine and fascinating to listen to.

However, as with anything space where people have an interest, you will always get spoofers trying to sell books and appear on all the cheesy morning shows. The afterlife can be a profitable arena.

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah I went through a stage last year of listening to a ton of these. What’s clear is that there are genuine ones and ones where people have clearly made it up and are trying to sell books.

The majority of the evangelical American ones are spoofers. Amongst all the chancers, there is a small cohort that ring through.

I think most of them are genuine- and that is the problem. It is people entering something akin to the dream state we all enter every night when alive. I don't think they offer any evidence as to core realities on the "other side" so to speak.

Tiger

Reaction score
Mark, the earliest canonical gospel, conveniently forgets to make any mention of "the lord's prayer". Makes you wonder if the authors of Matthew and Luke, writing decades later, added some "theological flourishes" to fit their evolving Jesus narrative.
Not really.

The Gospel of Matthew and Luke are only within a few decades of Jesus’s life. Suggesting it was clearly taught to his disciples during his earthly ministry. ‘Heaven’ doesn’t seem to be a controversial topic with anyone during this period.

Additionallly, early Christian tradition, as evidenced by the writings of the early Church Fathers and other early Christian documents, affirms the authenticity of the Lords Prayer as a teaching of Christ.

Last edited:

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score
Not really.

The Gospel of Matthew and Luke are only within a few decades of Jesus’s life. Suggesting it was clearly taught to his disciples during his earthly ministry. ‘Heaven’ doesn’t seem to be a controversial topic with anyone during this period.

Additionallly, early Christian tradition, as evidenced by the writings of the early Church Fathers and other early Christian documents, affirms the authenticity of the Lords Prayer as a teaching of Christ.

The general view of the Early Church, and we see this as early as the Second Century when the issue first arises, was that St Matthew's Gospel was written first. In terms of the earliest Gospel manuscript we possess that belongs to the Gospel of St John. Claims of Marcan Priority are basically speculation- intelligently argued speculation but never the less speculation.

Tuco Salamanca

Reaction score
Not really.

Really?
When was the first mention of heaven and hell by an early church father?
Did Paul of Tarsus believe in a heaven or hell?

How early?

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
Don’t get me wrong. There are people who are recorded as being clinically dead in hospitals that have had these experiences. People who have died in plane crashes etc… I think their experiences are genuine and fascinating to listen to.

However, as with anything space where people have an interest, you will always get spoofers trying to sell books and appear on all the cheesy morning shows. The afterlife can be a profitable arena.
The point I'm trying to make Tiger is that you're only Christian, and in fact only Catholic, because you were born into a life, time and culture that exposed you to those concepts. You, like all of use, are simply the product of your experiences. We are all trapped in it, like bugs in amber. If you'd been born in the highlands of New Guinea 200 years ago, you'd have a totally different cosmology and concept of reality.

valamhic

Reaction score
Did you get your grants/blood money from the EU for the 10 acres of bog you were left this year?
Nationalist, my arshe, just another one sucking of the tits of Brussels!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
If Ireland is in the EU then the EU law applies. I have to abide by the law irrespective of its source.

EU Directive 2001/42/EC demands all energy plans opr programmes be assessed as to their viability and environmental impact. It is ignored and I am fighting helping groups to force the Irish government to comply for energy projects. This derives from the Aarhus convention which I support.

Getting road vehicles tested for road worthiness is an EU law. If you drive you are complying with it.
Phone chargers connections are controlled by EU law. You must use them. Britain passed legislation
making existing law continuing there with the difference being appeals are only to British courts.

Your question is ignorance. Ireland is a net contributor to the EU. It is Irish money net I receive. I work
very hard for it.

valamhic

Reaction score
The point I'm trying to make Tiger is that you're only Christian, and in fact only Catholic, because you were born into a life, time and culture that exposed you to those concepts. You, like all of use, are simply the product of your experiences. We are all trapped in it, like bugs in amber. If you'd been born in the highlands of New Guinea 200 years ago, you'd have a totally different cosmology and concept of reality.
Well I don't get too big into this but I was born a Catholic and still am. Evangelists spread the word of God whereas I spread slurry. However I hate classical Italy. The Roman Empire, I hate everything about it especially slavery.

Christianity developed under Roman rule and it was the cruelty of Roman rule drove the kinder concept of Christ.

Ancient Rome is a reminded of how horrible society can be. I hate the classical design of older Irish churches to imitate Roman architecture. The Goths did a good job on them. I think many other cultures were better to look up to.

Mods vs Roc_ers

New
Reaction score
I work very hard for it.
You're fucking around like a gobshite.

I just saw a video yesterday where you spent the whole morning drilling and lathing and welding and cutting some bits of pipe instead of just sticking a 50mm washer on a threaded rod or bolt with a couple of nuts to do the job you needed.

A two minute job that instead took you all morning.

And then you took even more time off doing any actually productive work to make a hare brained youtube video for other gobshites who must have something wrong with them to actually sit through that kind of long winded bollox?

You are another "a lot done more to do" merchant.

Same goes for "helping Irish government to comply" with wind energy regulations. You are playing their game, helping them to produce more and more pieces of turgid, obtuse, authorative paper that they just wave in the faces of those trying to explain the real problems, to put them off.

Tiger

Reaction score
The etymology of the word Catholic has its roots in Greek - ‘katholikos’ meaning Universal. It’s meant for the entire world. The fact of the matter is that many nations have rejected Him.

Before the apostles began travelling extensively around the world (“teach ye all nations”) there was precisely zero Catholic countries. The apostle Thomas went to India. In fact many early church missionaries went to India. The Indians by and large rejected the teachings of Christ. The gospel was taught in Syria, Africa and India before it was taught in Ireland.

The existence of false religions does not negate the possibility for a correct or real religion. Christ said that through Him many would be saved. He didn’t say all would be saved.

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
I grew up in Ireland, as such I learnt virtually nothing about serious Christian Doctrine, while going to 'Catholic' schools, and lived in a culture where all organs of the state and media sneered, laughed, and abused the Catholic Church ritualistically, and in consequence, predictably almost all siblings and friends became atheists, or semi atheists anyway. This has been true of Ireland for at least half a century.

Modern Irish Catholics are people who think for themselves and have studied their faith independently.

valamhic

Reaction score
You're fucking around like a gobshite.

I just saw a video yesterday where you spent the whole morning drilling and lathing and welding and cutting some bits of pipe instead of just sticking a 50mm washer on a threaded rod or bolt with a couple of nuts to do the job you needed.

A two minute job that instead took you all morning.

And then you took even more time off doing any actually productive work to make a hare brained youtube video for other gobshites who must have something wrong with them to actually sit through that kind of long winded bollox?

You are another "a lot done more to do" merchant.

Same goes for "helping Irish government to comply" with wind energy regulations. You are playing their game, helping them to produce more and more pieces of turgid, obtuse, authorative paper that they just wave in the faces of those trying to explain the real problems, to put them off.
You don't have the intelligence to understand the idea is to prevent the metal falling through the DS into the slurry where it can never be retrieved. I have caused 2 wind farms to he stopped, One in North Kildare and one in Cork.

The SEA is the law, like it or not.

valamhic

Reaction score
I grew up in Ireland, as such I learnt virtually nothing about serious Christian Doctrine, while going to 'Catholic' schools, and lived in a culture where all organs of the state and media sneered, laughed, and abused the Catholic Church ritualistically, and in consequence, predictably almost all siblings and friends became atheists, or semi atheists anyway. This has been true of Ireland for at least half a century.

Modern Irish Catholics are people who think for themselves and have studied their faith independently.
Good post. There are a lot of begrudging kunts here. Pass no remarks of them, The Missus went to Dublin Ash Wednesday and attended Mass and ashes in White Friars church with her sister. Says there was a huge crowd
there. I could not go but I burned a stick with the gas bottles and put it on me forehead. The sisters husband
was in hospital when he crashed while skying in Switzerland. He went off pisst. Wanted me to go but I was afraid
I would end up like shoemaker.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom