Origins Thread

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Sir perhaps I've missed Saul's input on this subject and his defending of Electricity.

Could you show me where he got involved please?

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
I think it’s up to Saul to lay out his physical devotion to fat Jambo. Nothing to do with me.

Personally I’d like to stay away from their physical and emotional interaction. It doesn’t benefit this site.
Who is " Saul " again ~ I struggle to keep up with the, Code Names / Previous Names ? !

free and clean

Reaction score
Of course, you do get some anomalies along the evolutionary cycle

Screenshot_2024-01-29-19-55-44-819_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Tiger

Reaction score
This video is over an hour long, but well worth the time to watch. Trent discusses the remarkable constants of the universe and asks the question - are they ‘fine tuned?

Last edited:

Tiger

Reaction score
Well then you're gonna have to summarise for us.

Who's gonna listen to an hour of shyte???
Myles, just to say it… you often wear your cognitive decline as a badge of honour. For your own sake, I’d suggest you try to end this bad habit.

There are only two people who regularly whinge about the length of posts and video clip durations. That’s you and Jambo. Is it a coincidence that you both suffer from alcohol addiction? Probably not. The early stages of brain atrophy is similar to ADHD symptoms. Later on it can lead to full on dementia.

I would advise that you get hold of a product called ‘Lions Mane’ which is very popular these days with millennials who have issues focusing and digesting information.

Tiger

Reaction score
In the interesting video they discuss:

Population genetics
Generation of new forms of life
The molecular revolution
The Sequence Hypothesis
Virulent bacteria
Theodicy

I would have liked to hear them speak more to probability and randomness in evolutionary processes, such as mutations occurring at random in the genetic code, but what is discussed is worth listening to.

Tiger

Reaction score
In the overall discussion of ‘Origins’, a fascinating character worth looking at is Sir Fred Hoyle.

4b4f5542-b3fe-4294-a6eb-6acce809075c.jpeg

He was an English astronomer and mathematician who first coined the phrase the ‘Big Bang’. This is a fact that pub quiz aficionados will often know. What they don’t often know is that he would eventually go against his original Big Bang theory because it was mathematically impossible.

In a famous lecture at Cardiff University he said “Life cannot have originated on Earth” much to the shock of the listening students. He waited for their gasp to die down and he said “I’ve done the calculations, and mathematically it is simply impossible”.

He followed up with the quote “rabbits produce rabbits and very little else”. He accepted minor variations (also known as adaptation) which is non controversial, however once you go beyond that into new animals etc. he and the mathematically conscious biologists are saying is that Darwinian evolution is dead. It’s impossible.

For anyone interested, here’s a free pdf of a book he published on the subject called ‘Mathematics of Evolution’

http://www.evolocus.com/Textbooks/Hoyle1999.pdf

In this fascinating book, Hoyle delves into topics such as combinatorial inflation, the complexity of genetic algorithms, and the emergence of novel traits, employing mathematical analysis to critique aspects of evolutionary theory.

Last edited:

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Hoyle is very much worth quoting on this subject, and he was a very highly respected scientist.

Anyway I was just wondering what is the story that atheists have about possessions and Exorcists and all that? Its very hard to dismiss all the latter as liars, which is presumably the atheist position? In any case here is an example of a talk by one in case anybody is interested:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQOSzZprIO4

Tiger

Reaction score
Yes Hoyle is very much worth quoting on this subject, and he was a very highly respected scientist.

Anyway I was just wondering what is the story that atheists have about possessions and Exorcists and all that? Its very hard to dismiss all the latter as liars, which is presumably the atheist position? In any case here is an example of a talk by one in case anybody is interested:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQOSzZprIO4

You’re correct to bring this up Scolairebocht. I’m fascinated by accounts of possession, and the supra natural occurrences that happen. Particularly levitation, superhuman strength and people speaking in ancient languages.

Another area of interest is incorruptible saints. Their non embalmed bodies have lasted in tact for centuries with no viable medical explanation.

Tiger

Reaction score
In terms of origins, famous British physiologist, Denis Noble is highly regarded for his work in the field has spent the latter period of his life attacking Neo Darwinism for being unscientific. Asserting that its most important foundations are either wrong or overemphasised. He claims:

1: mutations are not random
2: Acquired characteristics can be inherited
3: The gene-centred view of evolution is wrong
4. Evolution is not a gradual gene-by-gene process but is macromutational.
5. Scientists have not been able to create new species in the lab or greenhouse, and we haven’t seen speciation occur in nature.

IMG_1590.jpeg

Last edited:

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
In the overall discussion of ‘Origins’, a fascinating character worth looking at is Sir Fred Hoyle.

View attachment 4345

He was an English astronomer and mathematician who first coined the phrase the ‘Big Bang’. This is a fact that pub quiz aficionados will often know. What they don’t often know is that he would eventually go against his original Big Bang theory because it was mathematically impossible.

In a famous lecture at Cardiff University he said “Life cannot have originated on Earth” much to the shock of the listening students. He waited for their gasp to die down and he said “I’ve done the calculations, and mathematically it is simply impossible”.

He followed up with the quote “rabbits produce rabbits and very little else”. He accepted minor variations (also known as adaptation) which is non controversial, however once you go beyond that into new animals etc. he and the mathematically conscious biologists are saying is that Darwinian evolution is dead. It’s impossible.

For anyone interested, here’s a free pdf of a book he published on the subject called ‘Mathematics of Evolution’

http://www.evolocus.com/Textbooks/Hoyle1999.pdf

In this fascinating book, Hoyle delves into topics such as combinatorial inflation, the complexity of genetic algorithms, and the emergence of novel traits, employing mathematical analysis to critique aspects of evolutionary theory.
Which kinda goes with what I say about evolution, and that is we are only scratching at the surface of our understanding of it.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom