The relationship between Nationalism and Religion.

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score
This subject has come up before on here, the last time as regards to Gemma, and I think it would be good to have a thread devoted to the topic in itself.

A huge thing that we have seen in the rest of Europe is the clash within Nationalisms between Christian and neo-Pagans which are usually a lot, lot more intense than between say Catholics and Protestants, etc.

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score
Another way to look at is the relation between religion and culture. The late Christopher Dawson wrote extensively on the necessary interconnectedness of these things :

Christopher Dawson can be pretty brilliant alright. The thing is that there have been other Christian civilizations other than that of the Nordic-Latin West.

Humans are formed of the spirit, the psyche (or soul- but soul and spirit get confused a lot today) and the body, people like "Electricity" would say that people like E Michael Jones ignore the importance of the biological substratum of the human being, which might be true, but than they themselves go and reduce the humanity down to biology. Now I would also say as regards that the stronger the spirit is in a human person the more genuine freedom they have while as the more they are focused biologically the more indeed they are determined. However the nature of psyche and biology will "colour" how the spirit will act in this world.

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
The Country is a like a big open air mausoleum dedicated to Christianity, every one lives their part to conform and live out their lives according to biblical doctrines, from their very names through to the things they say and what they customarily do.
Do they spend their lives getting ready for an eternal life too. It's sort of an abstract spacey proposition, as is the nature of Irish spiritual origins, However they maybe be??
What's relevant? What's so good to observe in the peoples practice? How does it sustain the Nation/Nationalism??

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
I've always thought prods were fucken assholes, especially Irish prods, and my life's experience has confirmed that.

Same for the rest.

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
Make Ugandan Irish Catholics Great Again.

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
Christopher Dawson can be pretty brilliant alright. The thing is that there have been other Christian civilizations other than that of the Nordic-Latin West.

Humans are formed of the spirit, the psyche (or soul- but soul and spirit get confused a lot today) and the body, people like "Electricity" would say that people like E Michael Jones ignore the importance of the biological substratum of the human being, which might be true, but than they themselves go and reduce the humanity down to biology. Now I would also say as regards that the stronger the spirit is in a human person the more genuine freedom they have while as the more they are focused biologically the more indeed they are determined. However the nature of psyche and biology will "colour" how the spirit will act in this world.
Well said old bean. Electricity is a stupid cunt, but he's my favourite white bloke.

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score
The Country is a like a big open air mausoleum dedicated to Christianity, every one lives their part to conform and live out their lives according to biblical doctrines, from their very names through to the things they say and what they customarily do.
Do they spend their lives getting ready for an eternal life too. It's sort of an abstract spacey proposition, as is the nature of Irish spiritual origins, However they maybe be??
What's relevant? What's so good to observe in the peoples practice? How does it sustain the Nation/Nationalism??

Well this issue came up on the Gemma thread- and I think it deserves to be discussed in and of itself and not just in passing reference as regards Gemma.

valamhic

Reaction score
Look at it this way.

American natives were nationalists and they had their own religion.

Irish nationalists were mostly Catholic. Unionists were mostly Protestant.

There is an Island called the North Sentinel Island in the bay of Bengal. They are so nationalist that they kill anyone who tries to come ashore. They probably have a religion. Nationalism is mainly keeping what you have and sharing
in a controlled way.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom