Cultural enrichment: France

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
French Connemara song described as 'right-wing sectarian' causing political storm

A popular French song about the hills of Connemara has been described as "odious" and "right-wing" which has caused something of a political storm in France. Michel Sardou’s 1980s Lakes of Connemara is a staple at weddings and graduations across France, but is not widely known in Ireland.

However, the French musician Juliette Armanet left locals in no doubt as to how she feels about the song. She was asked by Belgian media what three songs would make her leave a party.

She responded three times that it was The lakes of Connemara, describing the tune as: "a song that deeply disgusts me. It’s the … sectarian side, the music is odious. It’s right-wing, nothing’s good about it."

These comments have caused quite a stir given its popularity throughout the country.

jpc

Staff member
Reaction score
French Connemara song described as 'right-wing sectarian' causing political storm

A popular French song about the hills of Connemara has been described as "odious" and "right-wing" which has caused something of a political storm in France. Michel Sardou’s 1980s Lakes of Connemara is a staple at weddings and graduations across France, but is not widely known in Ireland.

However, the French musician Juliette Armanet left locals in no doubt as to how she feels about the song. She was asked by Belgian media what three songs would make her leave a party.

She responded three times that it was The lakes of Connemara, describing the tune as: "a song that deeply disgusts me. It’s the … sectarian side, the music is odious. It’s right-wing, nothing’s good about it."

These comments have caused quite a stir given its popularity throughout the country.

I think Julie feels the needs to reestablish her progressive virtue signalling credentials for some reason.
She's decided who's not going to her concerts I think.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom