A Song or Two for An Óglach.

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score

60 years ago we were allowed to sing this in primary schools ,
and this for a child is magical ---as kids we did nothing during the rising of the moon and also the gathering address was delivered in code known only to those who would use pikes .
we had never handled a pike and the song allowed us to conspire in our minds and gather in love of our country and march in the moonlight the entire school would go somewhere we were needed,
where that was was never considered but we would all journey there bursting with pride .
this was pre 1969 and i was 12 miles from Derry on holidays with my relations when it kicked off --i was 12 years old and i was shocked to my core by the violence .
i saw British bombers and other aircraft taking off from Magillian camp directly across the water from Moville and i wondered at anyone taking on the British army with their bombers and what was scary was the easy familiarity with the machinery of death the British had and we appeared like helpless children when you listened to the roars of a bomber taking off towards you across the water .
we had nothing to roar back and i feared for the people of Derry and i imagined the bombers being used shortly on them .
my relation a priest brought me through the Bogside to the monastery in his vw beetle and he was questioned by the RUC who doubted it seemed he was a priest and they made him give an account of himself before they would let us through .
it was a war zone and i had no understanding why it was so .
i returned home and was amazed it was not the most important item on the news and nobody believed me for some time re Derry .
The rising of the moon disappeared from Irelands primary schools for a good 50 years along with anything which could be seen as support for the republican movement --and i remember a teacher now deceased called Peadar o Coinnighle having repeated visits from special branch because he spelled his name in Irish and this was naturally a danger to the state and warranted repeated visits to keep an eye on him .

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score
Were you a teacher Sir? 60 years ago would've put you at 26/27 if my dates are correct.

Did you encourage your students toward nationalism?
i have encouraged everyone i have met towards nationalism in the past 40 years --as it took me quite a while to come to an understanding of what is really taking place and it is so evil that you suspect it for years and you do not wish it to be true.
your dates are wrong and what ever maths you are using if i was 12 in 1969 i was not a 27year old teacher --i am aware for come considerable time you have me in my late 80s and who am i to upset you -- carry on --i hope i have not said too much .

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
"Someone" is trying to eliminate our clan

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Aul Lad I do apologise. I genuinely thought you were born in the late 30's.

You are a lot younger than folk here realise. Perhaps its your Username that has thrown folk?

Either way you are a credit to your county of Kilkenny Sir (y)

Popular Threads

Top Bottom