Aliens among us?

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
" " Empty Space " " is Not Empty.

There is matter and energy in there ~ ~ Poorly called dark ( both of them ) ~ ~ When they should be called Un-Known.

Tiger

Reaction score
It's a valid question. There is nothing in the Bible about the universe, space, galaxies, or life on other planets. Why would God create something so enormous but is 99.9% empty space? That's just bad design.
Would you think a more elegant design would be something like a ‘Truman Show’ wall/edge somewhere beyond Mars?

He could have painted the rest of the universe as a film style backdrop, saving time and money. He should have thought of that.

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
It's a valid question. There is nothing in the Bible about the universe, space, galaxies, or life on other planets. Why would God create something so enormous but is 99.9% empty space? That's just bad design.
But it does say the heavens and the Earth, differentiating between the universe and the lump of rock we are sat upon. To my mind it's just missing the detail due to a lack of room.

Hermit

Reaction score
Would you think a more elegant design would be something like a ‘Truman Show’ wall/edge somewhere beyond Mars?
Yes, apart from the Mars bit. A closed system, not too large or too small, and without inefficiency and redundancy in its design. There's a lot of theory that goes into design and the spaceball universe in my opinion is an example of poor design, not befitting the greatest designer of all time.

When building something physical, such as a house, we always start with a foundation that is built upon, and it makes sense that God created earth with a horizontal foundation and built everything upon that. It does not make sense for God to create a place for us to exist, and put that place on a spinning ball in a vacuum so stupidly enormous and dangerous to make it impossible for us to explore. I don't believe God would design earth as a ball in space while also making it appear earth flat and stationary - he it not trying to trick us.

Tiger

Reaction score
Yes, apart from the Mars bit. A closed system, not too large or too small, and without inefficiency and redundancy in its design. There's a lot of theory that goes into design and the spaceball universe in my opinion is an example of poor design, not befitting the greatest designer of all time.
Obviously I was joking about making the universe into a film set. I didn’t expect anyone to agree to it.

Maybe the vastness of the universe reflects the greatness and the majesty of a Divine creator, or perhaps it is purposefully awe inspiring and humbling and this invites contemplation about our place in the cosmos and the mysteries that elude our limited understanding.

The Anthropic Principle suggests that the universe must be compatible with the existence of observers (us) because we are here to observe it. In other words, if the universe were not as vast or structured in a particular way, intelligent life could not have arisen to contemplate these questions. The constants of the universe would not work if there was a slight tweak to it.

Tiger

Reaction score
What do you mean they wouldn't work?
Some examples….

If there was a change to the Gravitational Constant it would lead to less structure formation, which would affect the creation of galaxies, stars and planets in the first place.

A tweak to the Cosmological Constant would affect the expansion rate if the universe, causing the cosmological constant to become negative, leading to a “big crush” type event.

Do you require more examples? Like what happens if the Speed of light or Fine Structure Constant is altered?

Tiger

Reaction score
No, I wasn't looking for examples.

If they were different, they "wouldn't work", is what you said. I asked you what do you mean by that. If I changed a constant from x to y, how does it "stop working"? It was a simple question.
Well, let’s put it this way. You and I wouldn’t be here talking about it as we wouldn’t exist.

The fundamental constants of the universe are interconnected, and changes to one has a negative ripple effect on the others.

Their ‘fine tuning’ is what allows life to exist.

Listen to what Alexander Vilenkin has to say on the matter

Tiger

Reaction score
A ripple effect on the others?
Yes
Life as we know it?
No. There would be no life whatsoever
Why? I did by the way.
Because you seem to struggle with the concept of fine tuning and I thought it might help you understand.

You see. This is why nobody engages in conversation with you. You started with a question to me, making it seem like you had a point to make and then (surprise surprise) it unravels very quickly, and in point of fact, that you have no argument to make, and instead the conversation dies a death quickly and descends into a stupid back and forth going nowhere.

I should do what others do and simply ignore your questions.

Tiger

Reaction score
If one constant was changed.. that would have a ripple effect.. causing others to change?

I don't think you know what fine tuning means

You should never presuppose that you know more about anything than me

You're not capable of having a conversation, this is yet another example
Haha,

Ladies and Gentleman, gather round. James is about to give us a lesson on fine tuning and the constants of the universe. James is going to put Alexander Vilenkin in his place.

Off you go James….the floor is yours. Finally you have something to say and it’s not just a question. Hurrah!

Over to you, what have you got to say for yourself….

Tiger

Reaction score
You added this bit

Yes, how convenient for all you fucking low IQ losers and bigots that you don't answer my questions. Why don't you stick to your PM threads
C’mon James. I’m dying to what you have to say about fine tuning.

Again the floor is yours….

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom