Get thee hence to a Latin Mass over Easter!

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
A lot of people who are lapsed, or close to it, Catholics, do not actually realise how much it has changed since c.1970, the aftermath of the Second Vatican Council. So I will invite you to attend the Easter vigil to see what it really is that your ancestors, if you are Irish, probably supported and believed in for all those centuries.

If you have been to Catholic ceremonies at Easter before, but not to a Latin mass one, I assure you this is very different and worth participating in. It is not at all like the current vernacular ceremonies and involves things like a fire etc.

Anyway it is on the Saturday night, a vigil before Easter Sunday on the following day. You can find out the locations of various Latin masses at places like www.fsspx.ie and for example it starts at 10.30 pm in St John's Church near Dun Laoghaire in Dublin, 53.288400, -6.145970.

This is from the Good Friday ceremonies in Meath this year:

Attachments

• Easter2024.mp4
    8 MB · Views: 0

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder, Yes I'd like to step back inside a church for mass and this is a good time to do it.
I may not be a practicing christian but having come from a decent christian background, it will be interesting to experience the occasion.
Yes I see a Saturday vigil is listed locally. Great stuff - I'm in😊

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score
If you go to page 206 here, on this online version of The Handbook of Christian Feasts and Customs, you can read about the history, liturgy and customs associated with this Hallowed Holy Saturday.

And if you can find a good Latin Easter Vigil Mass, don't let the opportunity pass:

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score
BurialofChrist_CarlBloch.jpg

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
Yes, I popped in for 20 minutes and enjoyed that as a warm-up before tomorrows grand service.
It certainly brought back memories from early childhood.

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
I know a prominent guy from the communist party of Ireland who was given the ‘job’ of attending a Latin mass in Dublin (as a type of spy) who completely converted to true Catholicism during his first Latin mass. He sat at the back of the church with tears in his eyes.
Was this years ago?

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
Yes, I think the chap may have passed away.

Are you familiar with this story?
No.

I went to the mass in the Brompton oratory a few years ago and it was an experience I'll never forget. I can see why the above happened.

Tiger

Reaction score
No.

I went to the mass in the Brompton oratory a few years ago and it was an experience I'll never forget. I can see why the above happened.
Yeah the Brompton Oratory has all the ‘bells and smells’ as they say. It’s very visually spectacular.

A friend of mine who attended the SSPX church’s in London was a Lieutenant in the British Navy. He (and another chap who also attended the TLM) were both called in by their superiors in the Navy. Both were warned that they were on a ‘list’. That the SSPX were on a top ten list of ‘subversives’ with MI5.

valamhic

Reaction score
Three of my care attended the Easter Mass at the Mass rock on the Lough An Leagh Mountain. It was very cold but there were 200 attending. It made Facebook, Kingscourt Parish. It only made a come back in recent years with the arrival of Navan Man Fr Jerry McCormack. He is into cycling, I must pay me dues. . Eircode A82XOT3 is the nearest house but nothing to do with the rock. In penal times Mass was at 6 am and that cannot be changed, The change of time this year left it a short sleep.

The North South interconnector is due to run across the site view about 1.5 miles distant. I am involved in stopping that. The no vote was very high in the area.

Popular Threads

Top Bottom