Ireland to jail anyone with an offensive meme on their phone!

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
You seem to understand tldr's meme Love. Could you explain it to me please Sir?

We've all got our own interpretations from what is a simple photo?

When I made the original comment I hastily regarded the football team as Rangers fé Glasgow but when awake this morning I realised it's most likely Barcelona and indeed we can see it's at Munich's UEFA Euro 2020.
I don't follow Football much but I do take an unconscious note of media pronouncements and If I'm not much mistaken, the Captain of that team is in fact as Orange as he is White, among other things . . . ;)

Just a Gut Feeling . . .

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
And therein lies the problem Mr Love. When you need to look at a Meme two days in a row, scratch your head over it and still not have a clue as to what it means...........its a useless Meme.

Memes have to be understood instantly or else they're not really a Meme!

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
And therein lies the problem Mr Love. When you need to look at a Meme two days in a row, scratch your head over it and still not have a clue as to what it means...........its a useless Meme.

Memes have to be understood instantly or else they're not really a Meme!
But the same meme has different meanings and effects on opposed peoples, plus we're both too stupid to have translated the meme caption in the image to get what it's supposed to have meant, lets dig deep and try to translate it now, eh? (see you back here in 5 minutes, ok?)

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
It could be Sir. But the point is you shouldn't have to make wild guesses. Tldr clearly doesn't understand what a Meme's function is.

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
It could be Sir. But the point is you shouldn't have to make wild guesses. Tldr clearly doesn't understand what a Meme's function is.
It's a very clever device because it makes us think of the reality of our European world. Realities which we don't understand on a deep level but we think we do on a superficial skin deep level-(captions) And a meme image can have many different "captions" attached to it - Some instantly understood by you but not the next fella and some liked by you but others (captions) disliked by you.
In Europe we (Irish) don't always understand the ways . . .

tldr

Reaction score

iu

tldr

Reaction score
'Senior Finnish politician Päivi Räsänen has been acquitted twice after the Finnish government prosecuted her for quoting the Bible.

Now, however, the Finish Public Prosecutor is seeking to appeal the November 2023 decision supporting her faith and free speech.

Räsänen is a long-standing member of Parliament, former leader of the Finnish Christian Democrats Party, and former national interior minister. She is also a physician and mother of five who is highly critical of homosexuality, which she describes as a “disorder of psychosexual development.”

In 2019, she questioned her church’s sponsorship of an LGBT pride event.

On June 17th of that year, she proceeded to post a statement on Twitter questioning how the sponsorship was compatible with the Bible, linking to a photograph of a biblical passage, Romans 1:24-27, on Instagram. She also posted the text and image on Facebook.

She later said that “[t]he purpose [of] my tweet was in no way to insult sexual minorities. My criticism was aimed at the leadership of the church.”

Now the Public Prosecutor is appealing to the Supreme Court in what seems more like a blind rage than reasoned lawyering.

It is a glimpse of the slippery slope that awaits this country if our own anti-free speech movement takes hold.'

Finnish Politician Räsänen Again Facing Demands For Prosecution Over Quoting Bible - ZeroHedge

This is a portion of Paul's letter to the Romans that she posted - I've included 25-32 that finish out the epistle:

24 Therefore, God handed them over to impurity through the lusts of their hearts* for the mutual degradation of their bodies.
25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and revered and worshiped the creature rather than the creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26 Therefore, God handed them over to degrading passions. Their females exchanged natural relations for unnatural,
27 and the males likewise gave up natural relations with females and burned with lust for one another. Males did shameful things with males and thus received in their own persons the due penalty for their perversity.
28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God handed them over to their undiscerning mind to do what is improper.
29 They are filled with every form of wickedness, evil, greed, and malice; full of envy, murder, rivalry, treachery, and spite. They are gossips
30 and scandalmongers and they hate God. They are insolent, haughty, boastful, ingenious in their wickedness, and rebellious toward their parents.
31 They are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.
32 Although they know the just decree of God that all who practice such things deserve death, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

* [1:24] In order to expose the depth of humanity’s rebellion against the Creator, God handed them over to impurity through the lusts of their hearts. Instead of curbing people’s evil interests, God abandoned them to self-indulgence, thereby removing the facade of apparent conformity to the divine will. Subsequently Paul will show that the Mosaic law produces the same effect; cf. Rom 5:20; 7:1324. The divine judgment expressed here is related to the theme of hardness of heart described in Rom 9:1718.

Romans: 1 - USCCB

Does the Bible also fall under the remit of the Hate Speech laws?

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
'Senior Finnish politician Päivi Räsänen has been acquitted twice after the Finnish government prosecuted her for quoting the Bible.

Now, however, the Finish Public Prosecutor is seeking to appeal the November 2023 decision supporting her faith and free speech.

Räsänen is a long-standing member of Parliament, former leader of the Finnish Christian Democrats Party, and former national interior minister. She is also a physician and mother of five who is highly critical of homosexuality, which she describes as a “disorder of psychosexual development.”

In 2019, she questioned her church’s sponsorship of an LGBT pride event.

On June 17th of that year, she proceeded to post a statement on Twitter questioning how the sponsorship was compatible with the Bible, linking to a photograph of a biblical passage, Romans 1:24-27, on Instagram. She also posted the text and image on Facebook.

She later said that “[t]he purpose [of] my tweet was in no way to insult sexual minorities. My criticism was aimed at the leadership of the church.”

Now the Public Prosecutor is appealing to the Supreme Court in what seems more like a blind rage than reasoned lawyering.

It is a glimpse of the slippery slope that awaits this country if our own anti-free speech movement takes hold.'

Finnish Politician Räsänen Again Facing Demands For Prosecution Over Quoting Bible - ZeroHedge

This is a portion of Paul's letter to the Romans that she posted - I've included 25-32 that finish out the epistle:

24 Therefore, God handed them over to impurity through the lusts of their hearts* for the mutual degradation of their bodies.
25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie and revered and worshiped the creature rather than the creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
26 Therefore, God handed them over to degrading passions. Their females exchanged natural relations for unnatural,
27 and the males likewise gave up natural relations with females and burned with lust for one another. Males did shameful things with males and thus received in their own persons the due penalty for their perversity.
28 And since they did not see fit to acknowledge God, God handed them over to their undiscerning mind to do what is improper.
29 They are filled with every form of wickedness, evil, greed, and malice; full of envy, murder, rivalry, treachery, and spite. They are gossips
30 and scandalmongers and they hate God. They are insolent, haughty, boastful, ingenious in their wickedness, and rebellious toward their parents.
31 They are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.
32 Although they know the just decree of God that all who practice such things deserve death, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.

* [1:24] In order to expose the depth of humanity’s rebellion against the Creator, God handed them over to impurity through the lusts of their hearts. Instead of curbing people’s evil interests, God abandoned them to self-indulgence, thereby removing the facade of apparent conformity to the divine will. Subsequently Paul will show that the Mosaic law produces the same effect; cf. Rom 5:20; 7:1324. The divine judgment expressed here is related to the theme of hardness of heart described in Rom 9:1718.

Romans: 1 - USCCB

Does the Bible also fall under the remit of the Hate Speech laws?
Anything that the establishment decides it doesn't like will fall foul of the hate speech laws. which is why this is the very knell for democracy, justice and free speech.

tldr

Reaction score

tldr

Reaction score
'
I was invited to be digitally strip searched, and subjected to an interrogation in which I had no right to silence, no right to refuse to answer questions, and no right to withhold pin numbers for my digital devices or sim cards. If I asserted any rights to privacy, I faced arrest and up to 48 hours in police custody.

I chose to comply. And so it was that over the next five hours, I sat with a couple of anonymous counter-terror cops in an airless, windowless, excruciatingly hot back room. They fingerprinted me, took invasive DNA swabs, and probed every conceivable aspect of my private and professional life, friend and family connections, and educational background. They wanted to know why I write, say and think the things I do, the specifics of how I’m paid for my investigative journalism, and to which bank account.

I had been detained under Britain’s 2019 Counter-Terrorism and Border Security Act, which the UN has branded draconian and repressive. Under its Schedule 3 powers, anyone entering British territory suspected of “hostile activity” on behalf of a foreign power can be detained, interrogated for six hours, and have the contents of their digital devices seized and stored. “Hostile acts” are defined as any behavior deemed threatening to Britain’s “national security” or its “economic well-being.”

More disturbingly, Schedule 3 is suspicionless. Under its terms, “it is immaterial whether a person is aware that activity in which they are or have been engaged is hostile activity, or whether a state for or on behalf of which, or in the interests of which, a hostile act is carried out has instigated, sanctioned, or is otherwise aware of, the carrying out of the act.” It must be quite an elaborate conspiracy when conspirators do not even know they’re conspiring

Now, the British government is taking its war on investigative journalism to a new level through its little-known National Security Act. Under this law, authorities in London have granted themselves the power to surveil, harass, and ultimately imprison any British citizens they wish on similarly suspicionless grounds. Dissidents of every stripe must now worry that everything they do or say could land them in jail for lengthy terms, simply for failing to toe London’s rigid national security line.'

https://www.eutimes.net/2024/02/new-law-makes-whistleblowing-illegal-in-the-uk/

(7)For the purposes of this paragraph—

(a)it is immaterial—

(i)whether a person is aware that activity in which they are or have been engaged is hostile activity, or

(ii)whether a State for or on behalf of which, or in the interests of which, a hostile act is carried out has instigated, sanctioned, or is otherwise aware of, the carrying out of the act;

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/3/schedule/3/enacted

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2023/32/contents/enacted

Tiger

Reaction score
'
I was invited to be digitally strip searched, and subjected to an interrogation in which I had no right to silence, no right to refuse to answer questions, and no right to withhold pin numbers for my digital devices or sim cards. If I asserted any rights to privacy, I faced arrest and up to 48 hours in police custody.

I chose to comply. And so it was that over the next five hours, I sat with a couple of anonymous counter-terror cops in an airless, windowless, excruciatingly hot back room. They fingerprinted me, took invasive DNA swabs, and probed every conceivable aspect of my private and professional life, friend and family connections, and educational background. They wanted to know why I write, say and think the things I do, the specifics of how I’m paid for my investigative journalism, and to which bank account.

I had been detained under Britain’s 2019 Counter-Terrorism and Border Security Act, which the UN has branded draconian and repressive. Under its Schedule 3 powers, anyone entering British territory suspected of “hostile activity” on behalf of a foreign power can be detained, interrogated for six hours, and have the contents of their digital devices seized and stored. “Hostile acts” are defined as any behavior deemed threatening to Britain’s “national security” or its “economic well-being.”

More disturbingly, Schedule 3 is suspicionless. Under its terms, “it is immaterial whether a person is aware that activity in which they are or have been engaged is hostile activity, or whether a state for or on behalf of which, or in the interests of which, a hostile act is carried out has instigated, sanctioned, or is otherwise aware of, the carrying out of the act.” It must be quite an elaborate conspiracy when conspirators do not even know they’re conspiring

Now, the British government is taking its war on investigative journalism to a new level through its little-known National Security Act. Under this law, authorities in London have granted themselves the power to surveil, harass, and ultimately imprison any British citizens they wish on similarly suspicionless grounds. Dissidents of every stripe must now worry that everything they do or say could land them in jail for lengthy terms, simply for failing to toe London’s rigid national security line.'

(a)it is immaterial—

(i)whether a person is aware that activity in which they are or have been engaged is hostile activity, or

(ii)whether a State for or on behalf of which, or in the interests of which, a hostile act is carried out has instigated, sanctioned, or is otherwise aware of, the carrying out of the act;

When did this happen?

What triggered them, was it that you are on a list of journalists?

jpc

Staff member
Reaction score
'

(a)it is immaterial—

On a lighter note!
After that.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom