The New Flag.

Skin the Goat

Reaction score
In this video you can see the usual flag shape and then the new flag shape. Why they are doing this I don't know, but it really is the case that these flag poles are normally used for LGBT flags, almost all year round.
There is no new flag shape. Anything that doesn't meet the criteria below is simply a banner in the national colours - something which can be seen at festivals all over the world.

The National Flag of Ireland, a tricolour of green, white and orange, is intended to symbolise the inclusion of and the aspiration for unity between people of different traditions on this island.
The flag is twice as wide as it is high. The three colours are of equal size and the green goes next to the flagstaff.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
So what I saw were "banners" and not "flags".
I did not imagine them then.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Dan what are you talking about? Bocht didn't post a video only a still that's too far away to see.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
There is no new fleg shape.

The National Fleg of Ireland, a tricolour of green, white and orange.
The fleg is twice as wide as it is high. The three colours are of equal size and the green goes next to the flegstaff.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
If anyone goesby The Quayside, can they photo them.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Surely someone will be in Dublin soon.

Another poster says I was looking at a banner. That would actually be worse, as the flag is reduced to a banner, and then it is just one of many.

Later, under some pretence, we will be given a Flag.

A new one.

tldr

Reaction score
Surely someone will be in Dublin soon.

Another poster says I was looking at a banner. That would actually be worse, as the flag is reduced to a banner, and then it is just one of many.

Later, under some pretence, we will be given a Flag.

A new one.

Thought about this. Probably has something to do with the fixings points which determined the vertical sides of the flag. While they do put pennants up occasionally, a rectangular flag of that size may not catch the wind as readily. Be no harm to find out what's going on in the minds of the DCC department in charge of them though.

The national flags were there for St Patrick's Day and worked as decorations to show the colours similar to the bunting that is common during Independence Day. We're not that sensitive about the form, rather being just glad to fly it given tentativeness after the Troubles.

Case in point, winning a place to the 2016 Euro Finals (after the wundergoal against Germany) did give us an excuse to cover the place with tricolours. NI went too and also had a great tournament.

I would like to see public buildings fly clean flags. There's times I've seen soiled ones and was disturbed by it.

I think that this struck you because of the reverence that Americans have for the flag and speaks to your patriotism for the United States. That this didn't occur to you indicates how ingrained it is now. A Yankee from Galway.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
No, I just did not like the changed shape.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
20240406_171924.jpg

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
So I am out in Lexington today giving a tour. I am seeing these altered flags there as well.

The fall on the high pole is an important government flag on The Battle Green. It appears to me anyway to be almost square.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom