The Rugby thread.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
CGP I just looked how many times Ireland has won a world cup in Union and the answer is never. Even Australia has won it twice and nobody here even cares about it. Ireland has never even been the runner-up, or taken the bronze.Massive props for sticking in there as a fan. Holy shit, that's dedication.
Ireland's World Cup record is atrocious. Have never been past the Quarter Finals. Hopefully this is the year.

Rugger has traditionally been lower down the sports table here too. Probably 4th after Gah, Soccer and hurling.

Its probably more popular in recent years since the national team and the Provinces have become decent.

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
When it comes to football has Union dropped to fourth over there Sir?

(1) Rules
(2) League
(3) Association
(4) Union

???
Rules is big in pretty much every state apart from QLD and NSW. It's still fairly big in NSW and is probably the dominant code there too, but league has a very big presence. They have a lot of teams and I hate all of them apart from the Rabbitohs.

Domestically, that is. Obviously there's no international market for rules so all the traffic is domestic. League and Union generate roughly comparable interest in states other than QLD and NSW when it comes to international play.

I would watch a game of Union over Rules. But then again, I would watch a game of anything over rules. Even a match of Ginpop Rummy. Rules isn't football. It's a shitshow. I have no idea how it became so popular.

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
There can't be much internationally with League. Its just the north of England and Oz where its played!
Lots of countries have Intl teams but yeah, the focus is always pretty much between NZ/Australia/England. It's most popular in QLD. This is in some part due to how many Tongans and Samoans we have here.

Coal Gas and peat

Reaction score
New Zealand 96-17 Italy

That'll be our reward for topping the Group of Death. A date with the All Blacks!
We will be counter rucking the fuckers all night and we know James lowe is mad to get at them , the haka is worth fuck all anymore , they are the ones loud talking ....they seem to forget that for us it's the biggest match we've ever played

free and clean

Reaction score
Get up the yard you clown. Absolutely disgraceful behaviour to choose a meaningless match over his son's funeral.

Coal Gas and peat

Reaction score
France are driving over the Wops so far averaging more than a pont a minute after 24

Popular Threads

Top Bottom