Ballyseedy: 100 years on

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
On this day 100 years ago the Ballyseedy Massacre took place.

9 Anti-Treaty IRA prisoners were tied to a mine by Free State soldiers and were blown up. Eight were killed and the ninth, Stephen Fuller, was blown clear into a ditch and survived.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
'Twas savage in that part of the Country a Century ago.

On 6th March 1923 at Knocknagoshel, five Free State soldiers were killed by a booby trap (one was decapitated) and a sixth had to have his legs amputated.

The following day at Ballyseedy eight Republicans were blown up. Such was the dismembering of the bodies the birds were eating the flesh off the trees afterwards.

On the same day four more Republicans were tied to a mine at Countess Bridge near Killarney and killed. Another four were blown to atoms in the same manner at Cahersiveen.

This was all in the space of 48 hours.

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
The Freestaters had the Church and the British on their side, along with the big farmers and moneyed class. They were told to win at all cost. They did win and now we are in a worse position than we were under the Act of Union, and facing complete demographic upheaval and the loss of our homeland. Collins' 'a stepping stone to freedom' comment about the treaty was way off the mark. It was a one way-ticket to neo-colonialism/slavery/cultural annihilation.

iu

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
On this day 100 years ago the Ballyseedy Massacre took place.

9 Anti-Treaty IRA prisoners were tied to a mine by Free State soldiers and were blown up. Eight were killed and the ninth, Stephen Fuller, was blown clear into a ditch and survived.

Some read.

The sister was born in 1909 so could hardly be in Cumhan na nban and a messenger in March 1023?????

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Some read.The sister was born in 1909 so could hardly be in Cumhan na nban and a messenger in March 1023?????
They said she was a messenger a thousand years ago? Must be a typo.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I will read again as it is a fascinating story.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom