Oldest RC churches in Ireland

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
What are the oldest post Reformation Catholic churches in Ireland?

Following the Williamite victory in the war of 1689 to 1691, the Penal laws were enacted which disenfranchised Catholics. They were ultimately repealed in 1829 although the process had begun decades earlier.

With that in mind, what are the oldest RC churches in the Country?

Not far from me here in Fingal there's a church in Rush which dates from 1760. Waterford Cathedral was built in 1793 and is the oldest Cathedral.

St Mary's in Belfast was built in 1784 but it was changed and enlarged so much in 1868 that its scarcely the same building.

That brings me to Ballintubber Abbey in Co Mayo. Built over 800 years ago its very much an anomaly in that despite it being suppressed by Henry 8th, the abbey was never used by the Church of Ireland and in its roofless state was still used by Catholics throughout the penal times.

Its the only original Christian church in Ireland that I can think of that belongs to the RCC and not the COI.

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score
There's a plaque on the outside that claims it's the oldest COI church in the country.
As with many such cases, Saul Church was Catholic, and stolen. St Patrick's in Dublin being one of the more notable examples of this kind of theft.

Saul Church was founded over 1500 years ago, long before the CoI was a glint in Henry's eye

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
We didn't find the graveyard but we did come across this beautiful church in the middle of Saul. There's a plaque on the outside that claims it's the oldest COI church in the country.
Looked it up. Built in 1933. I've an Uncle older than that!

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Multyfarnham Abbey Church, which might date from 1280 or so I think, was also not taken over in the Reformation and is still in use as a Catholic Church. It was burnt repeatedly in the Reformation, but rebuilt.
Yes Sir! I did in fact come across that place before. The 'rebuilt' part is what might disqualify it from this discussion. Depends how much of it is still original I suppose.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Its 90 years old Sir. But there was a very old one there once ;)

I know what you're saying though. On that Site was the first church in Ireland. Seems like a special place (y)

Did you visit Patrick's grave whilst there?

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
St Borchill's church, Dysart Co Louth. Built in 1766 and still in use.

13901819_1.jpg

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
A penal era church in Co Cavan, built in 1796. Sadly it has fallen into a bad state of disrepair.

20211228_130916-2.jpg

Coal Gas and peat

Reaction score
A penal era church in Co Cavan, built in 1796. Sadly it has fallen into a bad state of disrepair.

20211228_130916-2.jpg

This one would be a straight forward makeover.... everything is intact.....a big day with the pressure washer would make a big change here

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom