Shane McGowan RIP

Wolf

Reaction score
My only encounter with MacGowan was when he was sitting in front me on a flight. It was only a short flight (Lon-Dub) and I recall that he and his neighbour (a stranger) talked the whole way. Seemed like a cordial chap.
Our country is full of cowardly fuckers afraid of their own shadow.
McGowan hated those pussies.
, I'm on a trans Atlantic flight right now having a Teelings whiskey in his honour.
G'wan ya mad thing, Shane, I'll see you in my dreams...😢😎

Coal Gas and peat

Reaction score
, I'm on a trans Atlantic flight right now having a Teelings whiskey in his honour.
Excellent news , wishing the trip every success

Anderson

🇮🇪 ☘️ 🇮🇪
Reaction score
Your 2nd point is false Sir.

I never took any Jibby Jabby (y)
Delighted to hear that sir, I was afraid you may have panicked and gone against the sound advice given to you.

You should have a long and fruitful life,l.

Have you heard, women are paying good money for vaccine free sperm!

Anderson

🇮🇪 ☘️ 🇮🇪
Reaction score
Xmas Shopping in New York wolf or gathering support for the rebellion from our Irish brothers in the US? I hope @Declan has been doing the groundwork!

free and clean

Reaction score
My only encounter with MacGowan was when he was sitting in front me on a flight. It was only a short flight (Lon-Dub) and I recall that he and his neighbour (a stranger) talked the whole way. Seemed like a cordial chap.
I warmed to him when I read a few years back that he did a single with some (apparently) well known group of priests and asked them to give him a blessing afterwards.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Delighted to hear that sir, I was afraid you may have panicked and gone against the sound advice given to you.

You should have a long and fruitful life,l.

Have you heard, women are paying good money for vaccine free sperm!
Indeed, a decent wanker can now earn some money.

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score
I knew him in his wilderness days after the Pogues. He was staying in someone's tower in Wicklow. A gentleman, deeply troubled soul. I didn't like the way his wife showcased him from his hospital bed when he was clearly very ill.
May he RIP.
an alcoholic is a junkie who drinks .
i had to cope with one of my parents being an alcoholic --i was sent to boarding school to give me a chance --i then briefly for a year looked after my father who was ill and unable to deal with the mayhem .
i had a chat and he wept like a child in the center of our town when i went to London on the bus --something told me i had to get out regardless of what happened next.
my sister left aged 16 and slept on friends floors in Carlow and put herself through college and is a legal person with two grown sons one is a partner in a firm one is ATC in Dubai for the past 12 years my other two were destroyed and never married one of them taught in Madrid for 26 years until she died in order to get as far away as possible .
there are thousands of alcoholics all different to SOME degree but most will destroy anything and everything within reach to strategize how they will provide money to keep drinking .
this one dressed well and expensively -- ate a very disciplined diet was member of professional bodies and socialized extensively and drank approx 15 bottles of gin a week .
there was no limit to the cruelty no limit to the greed it was more viscous than you can read in any novel today .
it took a great deal of money in legal fees to try and rescue some of our lives as everything that threatens the status quo has to be fought by trench warfare.
when i saw Mc Gowan on his never ending bender i looked around and said isn't it wonderful he has no kids .
those who remained close to their source of income i hope they are rewarded --it was hard earned .

jpc

Staff member
Reaction score
i had to cope with one of my parents being an alcoholic --i was sent to boarding school to give me a chance --i then briefly for a year looked after my father who was ill and unable to deal with the mayhem .
i had a chat and he wept like a child in the center of our town when i went to London on the bus --something told me i had to get out regardless of what happened next.
my sister left aged 16 and slept on friends floors in Carlow and put herself through college and is a legal person with two grown sons one is a partner in a firm one is ATC in Dubai for the past 12 years my other two were destroyed and never married one of them taught in Madrid for 26 years until she died in order to get as far away as possible .
there are thousands of alcoholics all different to SOME degree but most will destroy anything and everything within reach to strategize how they will provide money to keep drinking .
this one dressed well and expensively -- ate a very disciplined diet was member of professional bodies and socialized extensively and drank approx 15 bottles of gin a week .
there was no limit to the cruelty no limit to the greed it was more viscous than you can read in any novel today .
it took a great deal of money in legal fees to try and rescue some of our lives as everything that threatens the status quo has to be fought by trench warfare.
when i saw Mc Gowan on his never ending bender i looked around and said isn't it wonderful he has no kids .
those who remained close to their source of income i hope they are rewarded --it was hard earned .
That's pretty much it!

willow

Reaction score
Agree fully and empathise with you. Is there a family on this island not touched by the demon drink. With me it was my father, my beloved father, who was never cruel even when drunk. Just stocious, I remember being like 6 trying to get him to go to bed. All the while my 'mother' was out sleeping with half the town. That was the reason he turned to drink in the first place, I believe. In the event he died young before his 40th. My mother is still around, with a new family, all pillar of the community. I do not speak to her, and when she dies I will not go to her funeral.
Yes I know about alcoholism. Thankfully I can take or leave a drink and bwing thrifty I dont see the point in it - except in emergencies.
When I knew Shane he carried around a plastic grocery bag with all manner of pills prescription and otherwise. Can't say that he drank excessively, but he sure was out of it most of the time.
I pitied him, not a bad man at all.

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score
Agree fully and empathise with you. Is there a family on this island not touched by the demon drink. With me it was my father, my beloved father, who was never cruel even when drunk. Just stocious, I remember being like 6 trying to get him to go to bed. All the while my 'mother' was out sleeping with half the town. That was the reason he turned to drink in the first place, I believe. In the event he died young before his 40th. My mother is still around, with a new family, all pillar of the community. I do not speak to her, and when she dies I will not go to her funeral.
Yes I know about alcoholism. Thankfully I can take or leave a drink and bwing thrifty I dont see the point in it - except in emergencies.
When I knew Shane he carried around a plastic grocery bag with all manner of pills prescription and otherwise. Can't say that he drank excessively, but he sure was out of it most of the time.
I pitied him, not a bad man at all.
takes courage to say what you have said .
and it helps to tell your story --i used to be afraid of a lot of things i am afraid no more .
this may help you --i was strung like a bow once and ready to snap --i had multiple court cases to deal with and the revenue would not give me a tax clearance cert unless i established in the courts where large sums had gone as it was stated i had them .
i could not get payment from some of the business main customers until things were resolved and i had run out of money and could no longer pay for wages and diesel
i was taken to the hospital one day as my body from the waist up had locked and they were sure i was having a heart attack and they gave me a spray of nitro into my mouth which almost made my heart leap out of my chest .
it was explained to me that i had a stress attack which locked up my muscles and i would probably not survive the next one .
when leaving the hospital i was asked to call to a room in a building nearby and i did not know there was a department for families who have a junkie or alcoholic and it teaches them to cope .
i could not cope with the initial questions and panicked a bit and ran for the door --he asked me to stop and let him say just one thing to me --i turned to face him and kept moving a little and he said the same thing 3 times and the third time he said it i had to hang onto the door and it was the most emotional experience of my life and i can compare it to being showered with 150 gallons of some magic juice which washed away a huge amount of shit from my head .
YOU ARE NOT TO BLAME
YOU ARE NOT TO BLAME
YOU ARE NOT TO BLAME .
I was transformed and i got my mind back .

willow

Reaction score
takes courage to say what you have said .
and it helps to tell your story --i used to be afraid of a lot of things i am afraid no more .
this may help you --i was strung like a bow once and ready to snap --i had multiple court cases to deal with and the revenue would not give me a tax clearance cert unless i established in the courts where large sums had gone as it was stated i had them .
i could not get payment from some of the business main customers until things were resolved and i had run out of money and could no longer pay for wages and diesel
i was taken to the hospital one day as my body from the waist up had locked and they were sure i was having a heart attack and they gave me a spray of nitro into my mouth which almost made my heart leap out of my chest .
it was explained to me that i had a stress attack which locked up my muscles and i would probably not survive the next one .
when leaving the hospital i was asked to call to a room in a building nearby and i did not know there was a department for families who have a junkie or alcoholic and it teaches them to cope .
i could not cope with the initial questions and panicked a bit and ran for the door --he asked me to stop and let him say just one thing to me --i turned to face him and kept moving a little and he said the same thing 3 times and the third time he said it i had to hang onto the door and it was the most emotional experience of my life and i can compare it to being showered with 150 gallons of some magic juice which washed away a huge amount of shit from my head .
YOU ARE NOT TO BLAME
YOU ARE NOT TO BLAME
YOU ARE NOT TO BLAME .
I was transformed and i got my mind back .
Stress is the worst thing. Glad you were fine after that horrible attack. And thank you for your kind words. We live to fight another day💕

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom