The rise of Yahweh: from Canaanite warrior-storm deity to the God of the Abrahamic world

Tuco Salamanca

Reaction score
Here's something I suspect will be of interest to the holy joes and not-so-holy Joes alike.

In the video, Dr Justin Sledge explores the mysterious origin and development of Yahweh, the God of the Israelites and World Monotheism. He examines the earliest texts in the Hebrew Bible that mention Yahweh, and suggests that these texts may be evidence of a storm god cult that existed in ancient Canaan.
He also discusses the possibility that the cult of Yahweh may have been spread through mercantile trade.

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score
'may be evidence of a storm god cult that existed in ancient Canaan.'

:ROFLMAO:

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's something I suspect will be of interest to the holy joes and not-so-holy Joes alike.

In the video, Dr Justin Sledge explores the mysterious origin and development of Yahweh, the God of the Israelites and World Monotheism. He examines the earliest texts in the Hebrew Bible that mention Yahweh, and suggests that these texts may be evidence of a storm god cult that existed in ancient Canaan.
He also discusses the possibility that the cult of Yahweh may have been spread through mercantile trade.

Certainly poets in the Old Testament Kirk took at times the imagery that belonged to Baal and reapplied it to Our Lord. However if you look at what the heathenish ancients actually said they found Our Lord analogous to Seth and Dionysius, their gods of the wild places, and not to Jupiter, etc.

Tuco Salamanca

Reaction score
cite your source primary documents please.

Check the recommended reading list in the video descriptions. I'm not here to spoonfeed you.

Although, I don't think there's any pop-up picture books, so you might struggle a bit.

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, @Declan ,@Zipporah's Flint @Anderson

How is this dead end of a topic public, but the excellent 'Woke Hollywood' thread is private? :unsure:

I will raise the question of the woke Hollywood thread among the other mods. I did not realize it was private.

I had watched that video in the OP before- there is nothing in it that you might not come across in mainstream "critical scholarship" so while I can see clearly why people would find it offensive probably I think it best to deal with these issues publicly.

The man who made the video subscribes to "Reconstructionist Judaism".

Last edited:

Tiger

Reaction score

This pseudo Jew is some spoofer. Nice costume.

I’m 15 minutes in, if I had been playing a drinking game for every time he said ‘maybe’, ‘possibly’, ‘could have’ I’d be hammered. I’m not sure there’s any point listening any further.

Tuco Salamanca

Reaction score
This pseudo Jew is some spoofer. Nice costume.

Hilarious stuff, Lusty. Any chance of an actual critique?
Just a reminder, as even Zipporah mentions, he mentions nothing outside of mainstream scholarship.

He quotes sources throughout and was even kind enough to provide a recommended reading list.

I’m 15 minutes in, if I had been playing a drinking game for

sure, If...

every time he said ‘maybe’, ‘possibly’, ‘could have’ I’d be hammered. I’m not sure there’s any point listening any further.

Well, since he lacks a time machine, he can't say with absolute precision what bronze age middle easterners actually believed in.
Only a complete charlatan wouldn't qualify their commentary on the matter as not being 100% certain -- that's for your lot.

Tuco Salamanca

Reaction score
A fascinating interview with Francesa Stavrakopoulou (I had to copy and paste that surname 😄)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMQciYeDHU0

Here are some of the key points from the video (courtesy of google gemini in case you're wondering):

The God of the Bible was originally a corporeal deity with a human-shaped body.
  • This is evident from the fact that the God of the Bible is often described as having a physical body in the early parts of the Bible, such as Genesis 1:27, where God is said to create humankind in his own image.
  • The description of the God of the Bible as having a physical body becomes less common over time.
  • This is likely due to the influence of Greek philosophy, which emphasized the immateriality of the divine.
  • The desire to create a more abstract and universal deity may also have played a role in the disembodiment of the God of the Bible.
  • They discuss the reasons why the God of the Bible may have been disembodied.

The influence of Greek philosophy, which emphasized the immateriality of the divine.
  • The desire to create a more abstract and universal deity.
  • The need to distance the God of the Bible from the physical world, which was seen as corrupt and sinful.

The video concludes by arguing that the disembodiment of the God of the Bible was a significant development in the history of religion.
  • It allowed for the creation of a more abstract and universal deity.
  • It made it possible to believe in a God who was not limited by the physical world.It contributed to the development of monotheism.

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score
A fascinating interview with Francesa Stavrakopoulou (I had to copy and paste that surname 😄)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMQciYeDHU0

Here are some of the key points from the video:

The God of the Bible was originally a corporeal deity with a human-shaped body.
  • This is evident from the fact that the God of the Bible is often described as having a physical body in the early parts of the Bible, such as Genesis 1:27, where God is said to create humankind in his own image.
  • The description of the God of the Bible as having a physical body becomes less common over time.
  • This is likely due to the influence of Greek philosophy, which emphasized the immateriality of the divine.
  • The desire to create a more abstract and universal deity may also have played a role in the disembodiment of the God of the Bible.
  • They discuss the reasons why the God of the Bible may have been disembodied.

The influence of Greek philosophy, which emphasized the immateriality of the divine.
  • The desire to create a more abstract and universal deity.
  • The need to distance the God of the Bible from the physical world, which was seen as corrupt and sinful.
  • The video concludes by arguing that the disembodiment of the God of the Bible was a significant development in the history of religion.
  • It allowed for the creation of a more abstract and universal deity.
  • It made it possible to believe in a God who was not limited by the physical world.It contributed to the development of monotheism.

Yes but according to the Church Fathers it was God the Son who appeared to the Patriarchs, etc and again according to St Gregory of Nyssa and others He did so in the Body that recieved from Our Lady- remember that God is outside of time. The idea of God not having a Body only seems to have begun to become mainstream in Rabbinic Judaism in the 11 th and 12 th century.

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score
Black Hebrew Israelites, the Nation of Islam in the USA and Salafis (and some Sunnis influenced by them) all today still believe in an Embodied God without believing in Incarnation as such as (orthodox with a small "o") Christians understand it.

Tuco Salamanca

Reaction score
Yes but according to the Church Fathers it was God the Son who appeared to the Patriarchs, etc and again according to St Gregory of Nyssa and others He did so in the Body that recieved from Our Lady- remember that God is outside of time. The idea of God not having a Body only seems to have begun to become mainstream in Rabbinic Judaism in the 11 th and 12 th century.

And in Christianity.
Scholasticism in particular seemed to centre around reconciling Yahweh with Aristotle's first mover.

All a vain effort to dodge the inconvenient fact that Yahweh was no different in character from any of the Homeric gods.

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score
And in Christianity.
Scholasticism in particular seemed to centre around reconciling Yahweh with Aristotle's first mover.

All a vain effort to dodge the inconvenient fact that Yahweh was no different in character from any of the Homeric gods.

He does not have an origin story- that straight away is a huge fundamental difference between Him and Zeus, Marduk, etc.

Tuco Salamanca

Reaction score
He does not have an origin story- that straight away is a huge fundamental difference between Him and Zeus, Marduk, etc.

And?

They're all different from each other.
But in many other respects they're all identical, in particular their overt mythological character.

The OT is no different in it's basic structure from any of the other contemporaneous mythologies.

I can only surmise that those who would suggest otherwise were brought up in a religiously fundamentalist household.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom