To The Moon

Z

Zipporah's Flint

In a vacuum, certainly.

But it certainly raised quite a lot of dust on ignition.

If it could be proven to you 100 per cent that the Earth is flat would that force you to give up atheism?

valamhic

Reaction score
In my places right now, there is 2 cylinders of oxygen, 2 of Propane, One of Acetylene another was stolen. 5 cylinders of domestic butane. One large air compressor and 2 mini compressors.

Dan should ban Hermit and Kangal from this thread and set up a gas thread for them.

SaintJavelin

New
Reaction score
Are you saying that it is not possible to have a gas pressure gradient in a container?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXnaVvgaYY8

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNYCdbDKOhA

Gas pressure formulas, e.g. PV = nRT, include V for volume, i.e. the volume of a container. How can you have volume without a container?

View attachment 5716

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir64EcRkf5Q

Pressure Gradients in Natural Gas Reservoirs:

View attachment 5717

Even FlatEarth.ws says you can have a gradient in a container:

Gravity is the reason why we have a gradient.

"In reality, the gas inside the container is also affected by gravity and will also have a pressure gradient, just like the gas outside."

Thank you.

If we have gravity, why is a container necessary?

Last edited:

SaintJavelin

New
Reaction score
How can you have volume without a container?
You simply measure volume. If I go outside, and mark out 1m by 1m by 1m with tape and sticks, I know thats 1 cubic metre of volume. I don't need a fully enclosed container.

Last edited:

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
In my places right now, there is 2 cylinders of oxygen, 2 of Propane, One of Acetylene another was stolen. 5 cylinders of domestic butane. One large air compressor and 2 mini compressors.

Dan should ban Hermit and Kangal from this thread and set up a gas thread for them.
That would be gas.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
Sept of 2025. They are scheduled to do a flyby, dont hold your breath

Z

Zipporah's Flint

SInce the Earth is round, thats a bit of a silly question.

I accept that it is very probably round however it is a thought experiment.

IF it was flat would that actually change anything for you do you think?

valamhic

Reaction score
Sept of 2025. They are scheduled to do a flyby, dont hold your breath
Pity we could not have a sensible discussion here but that's life. It will hardly be proved in out lifetime and I reckon no one cares a damn. The young of to day don't know men claimed they were on the moon and therefore don't care if that is true or false.

SaintJavelin

New
Reaction score
I accept that it is very probably round however it is a thought experiment.

IF it was flat would that actually change anything for you do you think?
Well yes. It would mean all geodesy, geology (including plate tectonics), cartography, astronomy and and number of other sciences and disciplines would be destroyed.

But I'm not sure why I'd jump from there to belief in a supernatural entity. And from there to a specific Catholic version.

Z

Zipporah's Flint

But I'm not sure why I'd jump from there to belief in a supernatural entity. And from there to a specific Catholic version.

I am not sure either but a lot of people believe that if the earth could shown to be flat rather than a globe that would prove that our existence is not accidental. It could be a case that a lot of the people who are militantly opposed to the flat earth model are so as part of their internal struggle to deny God's Existence at all costs.

I believe that Hermit is not a Catholic- and it is my understanding that the majority of Flat Earthers in Ireland are not Catholic either.

SaintJavelin

New
Reaction score
a lot of the people who are militantly opposed to the flat earth model are so as part of their internal struggle to deny God's Existence at all costs.
I think for those of us who are "militantly opposed" it's less about gods or not and more about challenging magical thinking.

If enough people believe in, say, flat earth nonsense, and also take that "thinking" to other areas of human life, that can and will do actual harm.

Hermit

Reaction score
Gravity is the reason why we have a gradient.
"Pressure gradients in the atmosphere are typically caused by air of different temperatures"
"Heating of the earth, which in turn heats the atmosphere, is responsible for the motions and movements of the air in the atmosphere."

"In reality, the gas inside the container is also affected by gravity and will also have a pressure gradient, just like the gas outside."

Thank you.
You claimed gas pressure is constant in a container and asked me to show proof of gas pressure gradient in a container, which I did. You were wrong, even FlatEarth.ws disagreed with your claim. Concede you were wrong.

If we have gravity, why is a container necessary?
"Pressure is caused by gas molecules hitting the walls of the container."

The molecules are in constant, random motion and frequently collide with each other and with the walls of a container. Because the molecules are in motion, a gas will expand to fill the container. Since density is defined to be the mass divided by the volume, density depends directly on the size of the container in which a fixed mass of gas is confined.

You simply measure volume. If I go outside, and mark out 1m by 1m by 1m with tape and sticks, I know thats 1 cubic metre of volume. I don't need a fully enclosed container.
Okay, go outside with your tape and sticks and measure a cubic metre of air, without a container, and measure the pressure of that cubic metre of air.

"The volume of a container is generally understood to be the capacity of the container; i.e., the amount of fluid (gas or liquid) that the container could hold, rather than the amount of space the container itself displaces."

"Volume is the measure of the 3-dimensional space occupied by matter, or enclosed by a surface, measured in cubic units."

"You can also measure the weight of a gas with a balloon or other container and a scale."

"Gases, unlike solids and liquids, have neither fixed volume nor shape. They are molded entirely by the container in which they are held."

SaintJavelin

New
Reaction score

Hermit

Reaction score

Val, I am trying to give you and others a better argument against the moon landing. I'm citing gas pressure physics, not my opinions. But instead of considering and evaluating what I've presented, and presenting your counter arguments if you disagree, you say I'm off my rocker, you try to backseat moderate the thread and appeal to daddy to get me thread banned.

SaintJavelin

New
Reaction score
So you can have a gas pressure gradient in a container?
I never said you could not.

However in the absence of other forces, like gravity, the pressure will be constant. Which you have admitted.

SaintJavelin

New
Reaction score
Thanks for this and the other definitions of pressure.

You know need to add this one to your knowledge bank.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom