Weather Thread

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
Meanwhile, there's been a Tornado in Leitrim!!

With Storm Fergus descending on the country this afternoon, there was serious thunder and lightning witnessed at about 12.30pm in the Carrick-on-Shannon area. Reports then came in of a tornado ripping through Leitrim Village at about 12.40pm, causing damage to properties, knocking trees and walls as well as damaging cars. . . .

. . . An eye witness said they heard a roaring noise and saw trees being flattened at the back of properties near the bridge. Leitrim Fire Service, the Gardai and the ESB are currently in Leitrim Village dealing with the scene.

Following the damage caused by a freak tornado at lunch time today, Gardai wish to inform members of the public that the road through Leitrim Village is currently closed off for safety reasons. Diversions are in place at Battlebridge, at the Fingerboard junction and also at Drumgorman Lake.

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
Tornados ( miniature ones ) are actually very common in the UK and Ireland.

It's just that they don't become any decent size ( generally ) in the UK or Ireland.

I have see some tiny ones myself that just never come to anything.

The UK and Ireland is actually one of the biggest places in the World for Mine / Tiny Tornados ~ ~ It's just that they very very very rarely come to anything.

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
Tornados ( miniature ones ) are actually very common in the UK and Ireland.

It's just that they don't become any decent size ( generally ) in the UK or Ireland.

I have see some tiny ones myself that just never come to anything.

The UK and Ireland is actually one of the biggest places in the World for Mine / Tiny Tornados ~ ~ It's just that they very very very rarely come to anything.
Seen plenty of dust devils myself, usually mid to late summer on hot days, as you say they, usully don't amount to much but can make a mess of nice tidy swaths of straw behind a combine leaving it spread over the field.

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
Seen plenty of dust devils myself, usually mid to late summer on hot days, as you say they, usully don't amount to much but can make a mess of nice tidy swaths of straw behind a combine leaving it spread over the field.
In the vast open swathes ( and also with the heat ) of the American South / and other suitable places in America some of these turn in to Tornados / Twisters ! !

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
I wonder, some day will Artificial Intelligence come up with some sort of way of monitoring these and send some sort of mini-tornado killer to stop them becoming Full Blown Tornados ? !

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
I'm starting to believe in Climate Change.

The Jews said they stripped a load of Muslims naked in Gaza because it was too hot in the middle of December.

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
More stuck broken records which coincide with my own fair observations🤪 in recent times . . .

2023 is set to be the wettest on record; there is more to come​

December 24, 2023
2023 is likely to be the wettest year since official records began in 1901, with no halt to the showers up to the end of the month.
So far 1100 millimetres of rain have fallen at 13 of the country’s weather stations, and that is one millimetre more than the previous record set in 1998. Over the past few decades, some 853 millimetres have fallen on average.
“A lot of rain has fallen and a lot more is on its way,” a spokesman for weather bureau KNMI said. “It really does look as if the rain record will be broken.”

. . . . “There will be some rain every day." . . .

. . . November was the wettest November since records began, with twice the average rainfall.

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
More stuck broken records which coincide with my own fair observations🤪 in recent times . . .

2023 is set to be the wettest on record; there is more to come​

December 24, 2023
2023 is likely to be the wettest year since official records began in 1901, with no halt to the showers up to the end of the month.
So far 1100 millimetres of rain have fallen at 13 of the country’s weather stations, and that is one millimetre more than the previous record set in 1998. Over the past few decades, some 853 millimetres have fallen on average.
“A lot of rain has fallen and a lot more is on its way,” a spokesman for weather bureau KNMI said. “It really does look as if the rain record will be broken.”

. . . . “There will be some rain every day." . . .

. . . November was the wettest November since records began, with twice the average rainfall.
Let's rephrase that -

'2023 is set to be the wettest that we know of in the last 123 years' beating the previous record, set 25 years ago, by 0.09%

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
So @Myles O'Reilly & @Mad as Fish We've been getting rain everyday so much you've just become used to it over recent years, Such is the frequency that you've forgotten what real Christmas & Winter weather is about.

When was the last time you had some of this!! . . .

shnoooow.jpg

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
So @Myles O'Reilly & @Mad as Fish We've been getting rain everyday so much you've just become used to it over recent years, Such is the frequency that you've forgotten what real Christmas & Winter weather is about.

When was the last time you had some of this!! . . .

View attachment 3861
Beast from the East exceeded that quite dramatically in places, but why should nature conform to our idea of what a Christmas card should look like?

The Medieval Warm Period was approximately 1 °C warmer than present, and the Little Ice Age 0.6 °C cooler than present, in central Greenland.

These also reveal a persistent Climatic Optimum through the early–mid Holocene with temperatures at least 2 °C warmer than present (in central Greenland), terminating in cooling between 4 and 2 ka BP (Cuffey and Clow, 1997; Dahl-Jensen et al., 1998). All of these Holocene variations appear to have been larger in southern than in central Greenland (Dahl-Jensen et al., 1998).

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
So no snow, ice or sparkling frost this year but no surprises after rain almost everyday upon a very soggy mushy damp landscape we are now in for . . . More heavy rain - days in a row of it . . .

MET Éireann has issued multiple weather warnings with 'intense rainfall' and strong winds likely to batter much of the country over the coming days.

As Storm Gerrit approaches, the national forecaster has updated the warnings, which were issued for six counties on Christmas Day, to cover the entire country.

The worst of the weather is set to impact Cork and Kerry with a status orange wind warning set to come into effect at 8pm this St Stephen's Day.

Let's see how Cork this time survives Storm Gerrupdeyard 🤓

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
So no snow, ice or sparkling frost this year but no surprises after rain almost everyday upon a very soggy mushy damp landscape we are now in for . . . More heavy rain - days in a row of it . . .

MET Éireann has issued multiple weather warnings with 'intense rainfall' and strong winds likely to batter much of the country over the coming days.

As Storm Gerrit approaches, the national forecaster has updated the warnings, which were issued for six counties on Christmas Day, to cover the entire country.

The worst of the weather is set to impact Cork and Kerry with a status orange wind warning set to come into effect at 8pm this St Stephen's Day.

Let's see how Cork this time survives Storm Gerrupdeyard 🤓
Just another Atlantic storm, any sun that follows these gales tends to give a fantastic light for photography, especially on the west coast. Bring it on!

Just as a matter of curiosity I looked up that once great subject of snow laden Xmas cards, Good King Wenceslas, and it turns out that he lived in modern day Czech Republic where the winters tend to be colder due to its continental climate. He was also around during the 13th century, in the build up to the Mini Ice Age which might account for the snowfall which tends to be light in that part of the world. Although, if paupers, Kings (he was actually a duke) and pages were out and about it probably wasn't that deep, for said pauper would be struggling to find the wood under the snow cover.

Edit.

Just looked some more and it wasn't the snow that was the problem, but the cold. Wenceslas, who was later canonized, heated the ground with his footfall, enabling his minion you continue through the cold wind. The deep snow is probably a much later addition to romanticize Xmas cards.

Last edited:

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
Just another Atlantic storm, any sun that follows these gales tends to give a fantastic light for photography, especially on the west coast. Bring it on!
Yes indeed, I had a fantastic windy day with specks of blue sky and sun in between the dim clouds, t'was a rare scene before the rain & drizzle chased us back off the beach, 🚙 🏃‍♀️🏃‍♂️ again 😅

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
Who'd want to go out walking when it's raining every day anyway? And surely no many would care to hike through the mud and knee high puddles but still, a warning to those who live dangerously . . .

People are being asked to avoid soft and boggy grounds when hillwalking this winter, following six months that saw more rain than average.

Mountaineering Ireland is calling for people to be mindful as it says the downpours have left their mark on many upland areas.

Helen Lawless, Access and Conservation Officer with the organisation, said: "We've had a lot of rain over the last while, so the hills are really wet, especially the peatland areas ... and when the hills are wet they are more vulnerable to the impact of our footfall."

Wicklow is one of the most popular areas for walkers, and most of its hills are covered with blanket bog.

Hugh McAlinden is a District Conservation Officer for the region with the National Parks and Wildlife Service.

He said that many people would be surprised by how much impact even a modest amount of foot traffic can have on a bog.

"It doesn’t take much to cause enough damage, that would actually damage the plants and prevent them regrowing.

"As little as, I think, six people travelling across the bog in one year, the same line, as little as that.

001f5eae-614.jpg

Overgrazing, fires, and climate change have also had an impact on Wicklow's mountains
"It’s hard to imagine, it sounds ridiculous when I say it, but I’ve seen it with my own eyes.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom