Weather Thread

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
So first we have Wolf who all of a sudden isn't a Dub anymore and now you, Buddy, who's saying you're not originally from Sligo?

Why are you guys trolling this Site?

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
You don't know work until you pick stones out of a 10 acre field!
That doesn't sound physically demanding, but it does sound so fucking boring that I'd rather do something backbreaking if it was even 1/10th more interesting.

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
So first we have Wolf who all of a sudden isn't a Dub anymore and now you, Buddy, who's saying you're not originally from Sligo?

Why are you guys trolling this Site?

It's not the site that gets it but the actual occasional trolls who ask for it.
Are you still out by the airport in a caravan, did you notice the increased rainfall? Noisy on the roof?

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
No Love! That was 2 years ago!

I'm in an attic these days and yes the rain does belt off the window but when I'm drunk I wouldn't hear a tornado. (y)

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
Drunk! But the drink nearly killed you recently, why risk it? Sure anyway the sound of rain is relaxing in of itself, No need to use a rough aul fix for sleeping?

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
Reality on the ground. their story backs up the newspaper reports - Disastrous Weather๐Ÿ˜ฐ

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXJvpqFL8xk

Why are there so few trees? Was the Irish countryside always like this, or have people terraformed it?
One thing I noticed is that there is no natural erosion control around those courseways. No binding grasses to form root mats to make the soil cling together. Big problem over time.

Generally we plant these along waterways in Australia to stop the banks eroding when it floods, they are incredibly effective. No amount of water force will pull them out. Obviously not a solution for Ireland, but there would be a native species that did the same thing.

1712887943537.png

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
Why are there so few trees? Was the Irish countryside always like this, or have people terraformed it?
Good question? The aul landlords chopped down much of the wild forests centuries ago and intensively farmed the place to feed an 8 million population here and sent the bulk of product abroad. The locals inherited a broken land and divided culture . . . i don't know the details but Tree planting is arbitrary although the lordy's lands are typically well wooded. there should be natural hedging but Line dancing cowboys brought home barbed wire which did away with hedge maintenance and planting.
Many sons went abroad as did the half the villages. Like the Farmer there said in the Vid - money has become tight - always was.

One thing I noticed is that there is no natural erosion control around those courseways. No binding grasses to form root mats to make the soil cling together. Big problem over time.

Also they haven't had to worry about erosion because the flooding wasn't so bad so regularly (But maybe ask MAFish about that;))

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
Good question? The aul landlords chopped down much of the wild forests centuries ago and intensively farmed the place to feed an 8 million population here and sent the bulk of product abroad. The locals inherited a broken land and divided culture . . . i don't know the details but Tree planting is arbitrary although the lordy's lands are typically well wooded. there should be natural hedging but Line dancing cowboys brought home barbed wire which did away with hedge maintenance and planting.
Many sons went abroad as did the half the villages. Like the Farmer there said in the Vid - money has become tight - always was.

Also they haven't had to worry about erosion because the flooding wasn't so bad so regularly (But maybe ask MAFish about that;))
That's a shame, the way I understand things hedgerows are really important for the biosphere in Europe. Much prettier than the devil's rope, too.
Flooding like that is every other week in QLD. That's actually really mild compared to what we get here and I regularly see kids out on bodyboards in creeks flooding at that level, the little shits--it's very dangerous because all the bad noodles get caught in the wash. Last year and early into this year it has been particularly shockingly wet however but the big difference is heat I suppose. I'd wager on sheep stations here when it rains like that, there's far less chance of Lambs dying purely due to higher temps. Different deal.

Fuck everything about animal production, really. Seems like an awful slog with worse margins, huge amounts of risk and compliance. This is why I'm in agriculture. Well, I say that, but I don't consider myself a real farmer. I know real farmers. They spend 80K per year on Fertilizers. I'd say the term "Primary producer" fits what I do more or less. I'll stop short of the term "Hobby Farming". I'm a fair bit deeper into than that.

Still, weird seeing mountain ranges with no trees on them, that's depressing. Also odd that they are so visible so far away. See, in Australia most of the trees are eucalypts, which release eucalyptus oil into the atmosphere. So from a distance, they appear to be in a kind of blueish haze.
1712892268558.png

jpc

Staff member
Reaction score
That doesn't sound physically demanding, but it does sound so fucking boring that I'd rather do something backbreaking if it was even 1/10th more interesting.
Boring yes and hard work.
Stones was a term for things that were the size of bricks to blocks.
The fields were ploughed for years with old shallow ploughs. Then with the modern ploughs they deeper nd brought everything.
Mind I got lovely wall's for the garden when that's what I needed to fo.

Coal Gas and peat

Reaction score
Boring yes and hard work.
Stones was a term for things that were the size of bricks to blocks.
The fields were ploughed for years with old shallow ploughs. Then with the modern ploughs they deeper nd brought everything.
Mind I got lovely wall's for the garden when that's what I needed to fo.
There's something so satisfying about a freshly de-stoned field ready to be levelled and re-seeded ๐Ÿ™‚

Top Bottom