General Chat For All To Read.

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
Val once told me in strictest confidence that he could lift a round bale, which I assume is a rotund woman that he would meet at dances maybe 20 years ago when he was almost single still.
He had one of these in mind I should imagine -

small bale.jpg

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
Looks easier than a young rotund lady anyway. Maybe I misunderstood him

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
As I approach middle age.

1. Should I start bench pressing weights.

2. What weight should I aim for.

I see youngsters going to the gym everyday to try to get in shape like me.
Depends on what you want to do. Do you have any pre-existing injuries? What are your goals?

Lifting won't make you healthy. Cardio and endurance training will, coupled with dieting.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
My goal with this is increase upper body muscle.

I have eased on the massive walks but am resuming now as spring is here.

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
My goal with this is increase upper body muscle.

I have eased on the massive walks but am resuming now as spring is here.
Well, the thing about lifting and doing all weights in general is that muscle has memory, and if you're doing the same exercises with the same weight at the same reps over and over you're just going to end up wasting your time, and likely getting an injury. I used to see this all the time at the gym, guys just coming in and doing the same thing every week over and over. It doesn't work. Or worse, guys carrying too much weight killing themselves doing raises/dead bugs/hours on crunch machines, trying to get abs and not understanding that you don't get abs from exercises you get them from being lean.

The way building muscle works is more or less by 'tearing'. Muscles tears and new muscle builds over the old, which creates mass or as the cool kids say these days 'gains'. The only correct way to do this is to lift until fail, which is something nobody should be doing along without someone to spot them if we're talking about free weights.

Honestly Declan for what you want to do, it's definitely worth investing in a cable weights system/multi-trainer if you don't want to pay for a gym membership/want to work out at home. You'll get far more value out of this and will be able to do a lot more exercises, and you'll be able to safely lift until fail without the risk of a bar crushing your windpipe or something because you don't have someone to spot you. They're very versatile and much better for targeting specific muscle groups than free weights also.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I have the set up at home.

I NEVER NEVER EVER lift without a spotter, my son. And I spot for him.

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the set up at home.

I NEVER NEVER EVER lift without a spotter, my son. And I spot for him.
I sometimes do, admittedly. Generally it's just crushers with high reps/low weight, though. That's more or less why I even keep a bar. I rarely do benches any more, just decline/incline pushups. Even when I was lifting more seriously in my 20's, I don't think I ever benched more than 100KG, and there's no way I could do that now. Not terrible considering my 'good' weight is around 85KG (I'm 186cmH). I feel like the guys who are good at lifting big weight are always short, brick shithouses, and I've never had that build.

I mostly focus on cardio these days. Really considering some wrestling classes at integrated MMA in Brisbane. It's something I've always wanted to learn how to do and would be a great workout.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Fishalt I downthumbed your recent MMA post because you disrespected the Combat Sports thread by not putting it in there.

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
Fishalt I downthumbed your recent MMA post because you disrespected the Combat Sports thread by not putting it in there.
That's because I can never find it lol.

Great fights though. Good to see Max get back in the W column. Great dude and a great fighter.

valamhic

Reaction score
Val once told me in strictest confidence that he could lift a round bale, which I assume is a rotund woman that he would meet at dances maybe 20 years ago when he was almost single still.
I was and still am very strong for my build. It was often remarked by others. When I was married a while The missus wanted something lifted and moved. She suggested I get help, but I did it myself. She was impressed.

This is true. In his early days my father worked as a lorry driver for the railway company. Not everyone could manage a lorry then. He was mechanically minded. He would load the goods to his lorry and unload it on his own at the various destinations. Wheat was the heaviest. 14 stone he said. 89 kgs, up steps.

Last edited:

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
Apparently ~ ~ The Fourth Reich in Brussels is attempting to Shut Down a National Conservative Meeting in Brussels ~ ~ The Great Nigel Farage is there ~ Victor Orban is there ~ ~ Suella Braverman is there ~ ~ And Others.

The Fourth Reich ! ! ! ! = = In Action ! ! ! !

I doubt that Rte ~ Servant of the Fourth Reich will be giving this much coverage ! ! ! !

valamhic

Reaction score
I don't mean to be rude Sir but didn't he manage to let the lorry reverse over him and crush his legs?
No, the railway closed down and he was redundant. All he had was an 80 acre farm.

His main calling was electrical. He got a job in a company with a big lorry fleet attending to the electrics, dynamo, starter, lights, horn etc. While reaching in under a tipped up trailer someone let it down compressing his lungs. What I tell here is long before that.

valamhic

Reaction score
Apparently ~ ~ The Fourth Reich in Brussels is attempting to Shut Down a National Conservative Meeting in Brussels ~ ~ The Great Nigel Farage is there ~ Victor Orban is there ~ ~ Suella Braverman is there ~ ~ And Others.

The Fourth Reich ! ! ! ! = = In Action ! ! ! !

I doubt that Rte ~ Servant of the Fourth Reich will be giving this much coverage ! ! ! !

I wonder what did the police do?

valamhic

Reaction score
Imagine in this day and age, revolvers are allowed on film sets capable of firing live ammunition.

One would think cylinder gap would be widened and the barrel would have blocks to hinder the bullet while letting the gasses out the muzzle.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
I see Alan Sweeney from Galway is to run for election. More later.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom