The Tragedy of the Modern Irish Politics and its Politicians

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
johnbruton.jpg

John Bruton 1947-2024

Having returned from the funeral of this politician I think now is a good time to assess the modern Irish State which came into being approximately 100 years ago today and in which the above Meath gentleman played quite a leading role from his election as a TD in 1969.

The Irish State is more the product of the dreams of earlier Irish generations than I think any other in the world. Centuries upon centuries of Irish patriots dreamed and fought during the mythical – but certainly real at times – 700 year drive for independence.

But of course our enemies always concluded that the Irish could never govern themselves and indeed that conviction, that we as a race were too stupid (too stupid for example to see that many of our leaders were secretly in the pay of our enemies) or too disunited to work an independent state, reached fever pitch in the years before 1914, when it looked like we were eventually to get at least some measure of ‘Home Rule’. Its interesting therefore to look back on that period to see what were the real objections to Irish independence and compare that to what really transpired.

In this bit of comparative history I think we could look to an article in the Guardian newspaper of early 1914 to see what those fears about the Irish ability to run a state actually were. (The Manchester Guardian 17 Mar 1914, p.10.) At that time that newspaper, which was well respected in those years, sent over a reporter to Belfast and environs to assess what was the real objection in those parts to an independent Irish state. Again and again the story he got was that ‘Home Rule would be Rome Rule’, that the Irish were so priest riddled that any new state would be a theocracy – although thats only a new phrase – under the thumb of what they saw as a corrupt Pope in Rome.

That much was very predicable, but the interesting thing here was that the reporter went on to interview the then military commander of the UVF in Cavan, then Colonel but later General Oliver Nugent, later the O/C of the Ulster Division at the Somme. He is now widely considered a very intelligent man, and the subject of a number of recent books, and its fascinating to see therefore his insight into what Irish Independence might mean.

As regards the ‘Rome Rule’ theory his reply was: “That’s rubbish,” and, to cut a long story short, I believe he was right in his prediction. That remains a completely daft and silly interpretation of the recent history of this country. It did NOT, in any shape or form resemble a theocracy, and those that state it did are either completely ignorant of the true history or are deliberately rubbishing either the Church, or indeed Irish nationalism itself, for their own reasons.

And I would go further and simply say that Irish people went onto to create a very good country. It remained mostly peaceful for that 100 years, unlike almost everywhere else in Europe, it mostly punished miscreants, and not with excessive force or laws, it gradually impoved the living conditions in housing – from a very poverty stricken base –, education and health care etc, and retained also a genuine level of democracy in terms of debate etc. I think its a country that all Irish people should be proud of, until the year c.2000 at any rate, approximately the ‘Celtic Tiger’ years.

But what is interesting here is what the General went onto say as his objections, or fears, for an independent Ireland. He predicted that ‘jobbery’, the obsession with largesse from the state in the form of money and state jobs, could dominate politics:
“...and a Dublin parliament would make a bad hash of things. Among other mischiefs, jobbery, which was already practised in Ireland on a fairly large scale, would become general, and the Ancient Order of Hibernians would for the patronage board.”
You can replace the Hibernians reference, and insert instead political parties, and ask yourself if he wasn’t pretty on the mark with his predictions there.

The second issue he saw was that some Irish people tend to seek some kind of sense of approval from outsiders, ignoring their own countrymen and their opinions, and this of course is a fatal flaw to a democracy, because it leaves the country very open to the ‘opinions’ of corrupt international or transnational institutions. He explained it thus, which I think is broadly this point:
“...An Irishman, though he passes for a rebel, must obey somebody. It is his nature...”
In otherwords while we are famous for our physical courage, we sometimes lack moral courage, and instead chase after some, I would suggest outside, party, to ‘obey’. This has proved then to be the great flaw of modern Irish politics I would suggest, we seemed to have joined the EU, UN, WHO and the whole sorry host of very corrupt international institutions, seeking somebody, outside Ireland, to ‘obey’, frankly, to the great destruction of our country.

So unfortunately I would reverse now many of the things said about independent Ireland above, for the last 25 years or so. Under a clear policy of population replacement, i.e. the eviction of the native Irish as in previous Plantations, most of the public services and ordinary living arrangements are collapsing for many Irish people now. I don’t think we have a remotely democratic country now, for example a free press – i.e. not a government propaganda machine – is clearly a prerequisite for a democracy, and that we clearly do not have.

The ‘Tragedy’ element in the above title, is that the modern Irish political elite don’t seem to understand this. They live in the bubble of their compliant media and NGOs paid by the state, and are very clueless about how rotten the system has got, or indeed the degree to which Irish people have woken up to that fact.

So while I wish to say ‘Lord have mercy’ for the soul of John Bruton, and offer my condolences to his son Matthew and the rest of his family, I cannot help thinking that in modern Ireland a lot of the great dreams of the patriotic forebears of our race, are dying with him.

Last edited:

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
By the way this isn't a eulogy of John Bruton, although I think he had many good qualities mixed in with many political stances that I don't agree with anyway, I just think his death, which also marks 100 years of the Irish state with the end of the Civil War, is a good time to summarise where we are as a country.

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
I just mean that the Civil War atmosphere ended about 1924, with the release of the Republican prisoners captured then, and after that we can trace the beginning of the modern Irish state. So thats nearly exactly 100 years to now.

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
I certainly do, and the above is a reply is it not? You don't have to quote the previous post if its obvious what you are replying to.

SeekTheFairLand

Reaction score
Bruton who thought the 1916 Rising was unjust and un-needed? That such a leader would spit on the memory of the founders of the Republic is indicative of the type of scum that this State was handed over to after the defeats of the Republicans in 1921.

Bruton was just one the Free State cadre who administered this State on behalf of its various foreign rulers. No coincidence that worst bile in his stomach was for those men and women who carried the war to foreign rulers. Those Irish men who retained the fighting spirit now so absent in the country.

That the now seemingly defeated spirit of Irish is lamented by author is ironic considering that he attended the funeral of a man whose objective all his political life was to reduce the Irish back to the slaveen that Fine Gael always viewed them as

Coal Gas and peat

Reaction score
It sure is a tragedy for any country when it's governments number one priority is to bring in the scum of the earth from around the globe who want to do whatever they like , want us to pay for it and they hate us

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think that is fair at all, but for the record I don't agree at all with the idea that John Redmond had everything in hand and 1916 was unnecessary, which was his view.

But we shouldn't go to the other extreme and say all FF or FG TDs in the past, or their supporters, were terrible etc. Actually not all that long ago we had a good media and standard of debate in Ireland, a genuine sense of accommodating everybody's point of view. (Also neither the media or TDs were paid much more than the average person in Ireland). It was by no means perfect but doesn't deserve the very extreme abuse some give it either.

For example you could compare John Bruton with the current FG leader this way: I know people in Leo's constituency that supported him enthusiastically because of his conservative social views, especially his very strong pro life stance. Now look at him, realistically he was just playing the hypocrite to his potential supporters, and you can see that reflected in his very dodgy voting record in his constituency. John Bruton, on the otherhand, also claimed to be pro life all his political career, but when you get as far as the 2018 referendum he actually was there campaigning against abortion. He did have that integrity, what he stood for he didn't change very much throughout his career, and hence he was elected in Meath for about 40 years.

But anyway I am not trying to defend John Bruton, as stated it isn't an eulogy, as is obvious if you read it.

Last edited:

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
You know coal i was talking to a senior politician at the funeral and put that to him, that the elite in Ireland 'hate' Irish people. He was adamant he was as grounded as anybody, close to the people etc. But in truth he seemed brainwashed to me with all the sound bites you get from NGOs etc on this subject, they are just very deluded really.

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
They actually believe all this stuff about the brain surgeons of tomorrow being the immigrants etc etc, and that Irish people are massively wealthy and need them to do the lawns and all the other daft NGO soundbites. Actually the poorest people in Ireland, for example the homeless and those running small businesses, are the Irish.

SeekTheFairLand

Reaction score
I don't think that is fair at all, but for the record I don't agree at all with the idea that John Redmond had everything in hand and 1916 was unnecessary, which was his view.

But we shouldn't go to the other extreme and say all FF or FG TDs in the past, or their supporters, were terrible etc. Actually not all that long ago we had a good media and standard of debate in Ireland, a genuine sense of accommodating everybody's point of view. (Also neither the media or TDs were paid much more than the average person in Ireland). It was by no means perfect but doesn't deserve the very extreme abuse some give it either.

For example you could compare John Bruton with the current FG leader this way: I know people in Leo's constituency that supported him enthusiastically because of his conservative social views, especially his very strong pro life stance. Now look at him, realistically he was just playing the hypocrite to his potential supporters, and you can see that reflected in his very dodgy voting record in his constituency. John Bruton, on the otherhand, also claimed to be pro life all his political career, but when you get as far as the 2018 referendum he actually was there campaigning against abortion. He dd have that integrity, what he stood for he didn't change very much throughout his career, and hence he was elected in Meath for about 40 years.

But anyway I am not trying to defend John Bruton, as stated it isn't an eulogy, as is obvious if you read it.

At what point did the reasonably good State become the enemy of the Irish people. Can you put a date on it? When they locked down the people due to Covid? When they forced the Lisbon referendum to be re-run because because alternative directions beyond opinions couldn't be accommodated. Was it the blind eye that was turned to the Dublin Monaghan Bombing lest it would impact on the 'clever diplomacy' that Auld Lad reckons that Irish State excelled in? Was it 1973 when Ireland was led back into a Union with 'decent' leaders knowing that the objective of the EEC was an EU?

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
You will definitely find a lot of legitimate criticisms like that to make for all eras of the Irish state, but look the perfect doesn't exist, in broad terms it was a good state I think. I would put some time around the Celtic tiger when it really went off the rails, approximately when the international bodies like the EU really expanded their power over us.

SeekTheFairLand

Reaction score
You shouldn't be asking anything about an Irish politician, in this day and age.

The state religion, which I'll just say is progressivism and antiwhiteism, is not Irish. We didn't invent it.
The usual cute whorism that is synonymous with Irish politicians, who'll tell you what you want to hear to get you off their door, step, phone etc. Traitorous scum who should swinging from lamp-posts rather than trying to catch 5 mins with for a bit 'hail fellow, well met' banter after a funeral.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
You know coal i was talking to a senior politician at the funeral and put that to him, that the elite in Ireland 'hate' Irish people. He was adamant he was as grounded as anybody, close to the people etc. But in truth he seemed brainwashed to me with all the sound bites you get from NGOs etc on this subject, they are just very deluded really.
They can convince themselves of anything to justify their treason.

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree, it totally is treason they are doing. But as a group they divide into some who are naive, and really do not know what they are doing, and those higher up the chain who are consciously working to a crooked international agenda. Depressing how many are just clueless about what they are involved in...

Popular Threads

Top Bottom