Turkey Syria Earthquake

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score
It's one of them modernist churches.

It looks like an Irish bungalow built in the 1970s.

A lot of non-Italian European Jews and Presbyterians seem to have this whole thing about aesthetic ugliness being somehow more "Spiritual"- some degenerate Irish Priests have followed them up on this. Probably the most ugly Catholic Church in the world is St Michael's in Dun Laoghaire in Dublin.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
There are no promises in the New Testament that Christians will be spared suffering in this world. Quite the reverse in fact.
That's a somewhat glib answer in the circumstances of this case M'lady.

In this instance, the holy Sacrament itself was being presented and the faithful were gathered around waiting to receive whilst paying homage.

Then BAM! The roof caves in and a rake of them are killed.

I put a similar scenario to the devout guy on Pish (think it was Tadgh pretending to be someone else) where the moment the bread is transubstantiated, a bolt of lightening comes through the window and fries the unfortunate Padre on the spot. A fire breaks out and many people including children are burned alive.

I submit that a survivor would want to be anesthetised almost to the point of being braindead to merely put it down to Christian suffering.

Indeed one would have more sympathy if a survivor concluded that God's wrath had been unleashed upon the faithful for some reason given that it was at the most sacred moment in human existence according to his own law (the Eucharist) that he decided to kill them all.

If an event like that didn't jolt those present into some kind of epiphany then braindead is in fact what they'd be.

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
That's a somewhat glib answer in the circumstances of this case M'lady.

In this instance, the holy Sacrament itself was being presented and the faithful were gathered around waiting to receive whilst paying homage.

Then BAM! The roof caves in and a rake of them are killed.

I put a similar scenario to the devout guy on Pish (think it was Tadgh pretending to be someone else) where the moment the bread is transubstantiated, a bolt of lightening comes through the window and fries the unfortunate Padre on the spot. A fire breaks out and many people including children are burned alive.

I submit that a survivor would want to be anesthetised almost to the point of being braindead to merely put it down to Christian suffering.

Indeed one would have more sympathy if a survivor concluded that God's wrath had been unleashed upon the faithful for some reason given that it was at the most sacred moment in human existence according to his own law (the Eucharist) that he decided to kill them all.

If an event like that didn't jolt those present into some kind of epiphany then braindead is in fact what they'd be.
My personal opinion is = = That religion is NOT meant to be taken too seriously ( or very seriously at all )

Religion is Ok in Moderation ~ ~ Wedding ~ Funerals ~ Baptisms ~ Show up for the odd family mass celebrating the dead from previous years.

Don't take the religion too seriously = = God probably has a Great Sense Of Humour.

scolairebocht

Staff member
Reaction score
Its an important issue and maybe worth exploring a bit more: how seriously you should take religion (and I am referring here to the Catholic faith, I certainly hope you don't take Islam or Buddism seriously!lol).

To walk in Clarke's shoes for a second - pun not intended! - its true that there is an important theological concept called sometimes your "station in life". This means that you tailor, in a kind of a way, your religiousity, in a way, to your personal cicumstances. In otherwords you don't neglect, in favour of religious ceremonies, your normal duties as say a parent, a spouse, an employee, a student or whatever. So if I went to repeated novenas while leaving children hungry or employers short changed or just neglected my studies if I was a student, then I could be doing the wrong thing. In that sense Clarke is right, a certain moderation is called for because these responsibilities of yours are important and shouldn't be neglected. Hence the degree of religious observance, is, in a kind of a way, different for you than would be appropriate for a monk say, you take into account your station in life.

But where I totally disagree is where you say you should not take religion seriously. It has to be the case that you are trying to avoid sin in order to hopefully get to heaven. I think God takes his laws very seriously, and does not have that sense of humour hoped for. One way or the other you will pay for every transgression of his laws, and if you wilfully disobey and never seek forgiveness, you will go to hell, as many people do.

Anyway for what its worth thats what I think is the truthful picture of the situation.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
But where I totally disagree is where you say you should not take religion seriously. It has to be the case that you are trying to avoid sin in order to hopefully get to heaven. I think God takes his laws very seriously, and does not have that sense of humour hoped for. One way or the other you will pay for every transgression of his laws, and if you wilfully disobey and never seek forgiveness, you will go to hell, as many people do.
200w.webp

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Its a year on since an "Act of God" killed 55,000 Muslims. It has raised many difficult questions for Islamophiles like for example, Ms Catherine, who Moderates here.

On a micro scale, 5 Muslimas of the same family have been killed when an Artic truck ran over them in Piss Pants' home town of Scranton.

Popular Threads

Top Bottom