Helen McEntee's Hate laws

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Screenshot-26.png

Minister for Justice Helen McEntee is to strengthen the law against hate crimes and hate speech, with the aim of making it easier to secure convictions in the courts. The new measures will be announced later today, with legislation being introduced in the Oireachtas in the autumn.

Minister McEntee has signalled that she is amending her approach to the forthcoming Incitement to Hatred and Hate Crime Bill, with the aim of making it easier to secure convictions. The mechanism is to create new aggravated versions of existing offences, where those offences are motivated by prejudice against what is termed a "protected characteristic" of the victim. These include race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, sexual orientation, gender and disability.

Minister McEntee said she hopes the bill will be enacted by the end of the year and that the legislation will cover all forms of media, including online, print and radio.

She said convictions under the new bill would carry tougher sentences. "There are people living in this country at this moment in time who are not living their lives as they should simply because of fear," the minister said. "We all have a right to feel safe and to be safe. For somebody to feel unsafe simply because of who they are - their race, their religion, the color of their skin, their sexual orientation - it's not a society that I want to live in, and it's not what we should be tolerating."

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1547121958378151937

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
It likely will kill off P.ie and Pish.
P.ie is woke central. I don't know how they could fall foul of anything they're so square.

Its already killed Pish. Rick effectively shut down the Site as soon as he got wind of these laws. The man's afraid of his own shadow.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Top Poster Of Month
Reaction score
P.ie is woke central. I don't know how they could fall foul of anything they're so square.

Its already killed Pish. Rick effectively shut down the Site as soon as he got wind of these laws. The man's afraid of his own shadow.
Mike O Bama has more balls than Rick.

Anderson

🇮🇪 ☘️ 🇮🇪
Reaction score
It likely will kill off P.ie and Pish.

P.ie will be fine as the owner is american,
Pish will be fine as the owner lives in Australia
Sarsfields will be fine as the owner lives in America
Pisle of shit? The owner lives in Ireland!

Anderson

🇮🇪 ☘️ 🇮🇪
Reaction score
Surely someone will challenge the law under being in breach of our constitutional right to freedom of expression?

Reactions: jpc

Coal Gas and peat

Reaction score
That was a mighty scalding @valamhic gave the RTE......all angles covered , including take the whole place off them , even Zappo got a touch

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
My Ma had a black dog called N!gger when she was young. She told me the other day that her brother cycled like hell from the bog all the way home, enticing N!gger to keep up with him. When they got home the dog was so knackered it dropped dead in front of the house.

I unthinkingly said "Ah poor N!gger" out load and folk heard me.

When Mrs Nobber gets her hate laws in, could I end up in jail for making an innocent comment like that?

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom