Weather Thread

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
Unusual weather recently alright. As I said to my neighbour who was raking leaves the other day - It feels like summer but the trees seem to know :) Fairly autumnal today though..
Leaves are a tree's excretory system, all the toxins and by-products of the summers growth are accumulated in the leaf tissue which the tree then sheds. Basically leaf fall is like you and I having a pee and at the end of the summer the trees are bursting for a piss.

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
Grass mowing has now ceased until next march , right on schedule for the clocks changing next weekend
I've often mowed the grass during Christmas week, it never really stops growing in Ireland's mild climate. The only time I can remember it doing so was a very dry February/March around 14 or 15 years ago when fields turned yellow due to drought. Now that was an unusual weather event but I can't recollect all this crap about climate change being shouted from the rooftops.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
The rescue team did what?!

The rescue team broke a window but determined that the water was too high to safely enter the house and they would need to return the next morning.

Son's anger after finding Mum dead in flooded home

clarke-connolly

Reaction score
RTE just informed the assembled masss that the flooding was not caused by rainfall.....????

WTF are these people on?
Obviously = = No reading of the Bible allowed at Rte.

Or Science ~ Or Looking out the Window ~

Rte must be = = Gone Full Communist at this stage = = Except when it comes to their Salary and Expenses of course ! ! !

valamhic

Reaction score
As one of the few posters from Ireland here, I can report that there was weather here today!

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
As one of the few posters from Ireland here, I can report that there was weather here today!
Indeed, and I noted that it raineth upon the just and upon the unjust fella, but chiefely on the just because the unjust pincheth the just's umbrella.

Last edited:

valamhic

Reaction score
Indeed, and I noted that it raineth upon the just and upon the unjust fella, but chiefely on the just because the unjust pincheth the just's umbrella.
More weather here this morning. Something needs to be done. I think I should start a second thread on it?
Maybe Andy would do it instead.

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
Autumn storms in Ireland, unprecedented! I'm telling ye, we're all gonna die of weather, 'tis a terrible affliction!
The thing is that the winter's just beginning so we can look forward to more flooding for the next 6 months.
Having (in Ireland) just had the wettest jul/aug on record, things are looking unusually disastrous so far . . .

. . . Further homes and businesses across a number of counties were on Tuesday grappling with significant damage caused by “unprecedented” flooding after incessant rain, as the threat of more heavy showers in coming days loomed.

Newry in Co Down was under water after the city’s canal broke its banks on Monday night, with several streets in the city centre left flooded on Tuesday. Eamonn Connolly, manager of Newry Business Improvement District Organisation, likened parts of Newry to a “lake”. “It’s certainly been unprecedented,” he said.

Businesses and homes in Carlingford, Co Louth, also reported damage to premises following flooding, and a bridge outside Riverstown collapsed amid rising water on the Cooley peninsula.

Houses in Dundalk were also impacted.

Minister for Social Protection Heather Humphreys said a humanitarian assistance scheme for flood-hit households would be extended to people living in counties Louth and Wexford, as parts of the country prepare for Storm Ciarán.

In Banbridge, Co Down, the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) warned on Tuesday afternoon that the level of the river Bann had risen “dangerously high”.
(🤩)

Maybe it'll be calm, nice and dry for a few weeks after all this rain eventually passes over??😉

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
The thing is that the winter's just beginning so we can look forward to more flooding for the next 6 months.
Having (in Ireland) just had the wettest jul/aug on record, things are looking unusually disastrous so far . . .

. . . Further homes and businesses across a number of counties were on Tuesday grappling with significant damage caused by “unprecedented” flooding after incessant rain, as the threat of more heavy showers in coming days loomed.

Newry in Co Down was under water after the city’s canal broke its banks on Monday night, with several streets in the city centre left flooded on Tuesday. Eamonn Connolly, manager of Newry Business Improvement District Organisation, likened parts of Newry to a “lake”. “It’s certainly been unprecedented,” he said.

Businesses and homes in Carlingford, Co Louth, also reported damage to premises following flooding, and a bridge outside Riverstown collapsed amid rising water on the Cooley peninsula.

Houses in Dundalk were also impacted.

Minister for Social Protection Heather Humphreys said a humanitarian assistance scheme for flood-hit households would be extended to people living in counties Louth and Wexford, as parts of the country prepare for Storm Ciarán.

In Banbridge, Co Down, the Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) warned on Tuesday afternoon that the level of the river Bann had risen “dangerously high”.
(🤩)

Maybe it'll be calm, nice and dry for a few weeks after all this rain eventually passes over??😉
Have you ever known a winter in Ireland without flooding?

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
Have you ever known a winter in Ireland without flooding?
Yeah, you're right, it's usually the Shannon, Gort & Cork among many others you could probably mention, sure.

Should we not be concerned by what's suggested in that there's more flooding being observed in the floods and that those floods are happening in places which don't usually get that sort of thing at all.

Interesting to note any unusual changes in what makes this type of stuff happen, as said already and felt by many - the season's just beginning and what could be - we'll see more flooding in cork again by Christmas/new year?

They really better do something, perhaps knock all the affected area and build back on stilts?

It should happen this time?

house-on-stilts-hs2018-06-20-at-10.37.jpg

It's insane to have the monsters for environment & housing stuck on an annual looptape on telly wringing their rain soaked hands every year.:rolleyes::cry::rolleyes::cry:

Popular Threads

Top Bottom