Weather Thread

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
It's raining again
There's was too much last year and now the same's happening again for '24 . . .

There will be no relief from rain and sodden ground for farmers in the coming days, as according to Met Éireann's farming forecast, rainfall amounts will be two to four times the normal range.

In its farming bulletin, the national forecaster said the week ahead will be unsettled, bringing showers and rain and some heavy downpours at times.

It said soil conditions in fields are expected to worsen due to the rain.

Conditions at the moment are preventing planting and turning livestock out of sheds.

The forecaster said moderately or poorly drained soils will be waterlogged and all other soils will be saturated with all the forecast rainfall.

The farming forecast issued yesterday comes ahead of the publication of Met Éireann's analysis of March weather later today.

It is expected to show rainfall amounts in Ireland were 140% compared to normal, while amounts in some weather stations in the east and south of the country exceeded 200%, including Dublin Airport where rainfall was 219%, and the Phoenix Park where it was 211%.

Across farming sectors, the bad weather has severely hampered spring operations, preventing cows and cattle being turned out to graze fields where grass growth has been good.

In a normal year,
animals that had been housed over the winter would generally be in fields by day and night by the beginning of April.

Grain farmers are also struggling to plant. They have seed stored up and ready to go, but field conditions mean machinery cannot be deployed on wet soils.

The potato sector is one that is being badly affected by wet soils in fields.

Irish Farmers' Association's National Potato chairperson Sean Ryan said early planting that should have gone ahead in February did not, and only a fraction of the main crop that normally gets planted in mid-March is in the ground.

He said the current bad weather comes after last year's harvest was one of the most difficult in recent memory, when many growers forced to leave potatoes in the ground as conditions prevented them being harvested.

I was going to ask a local farmer what his opinion on the report was until I heard He's quite proud to mix "Truth with Lies" - Straight from the horses mouth.o_O

Coal Gas and peat

Reaction score
It was a good drying day up here yesterday farmers were sowing fertiliser...... Looks fucked today

tldr

Reaction score
There's was too much last year and now the same's happening again for '24 . . .

There will be no relief from rain and sodden ground for farmers in the coming days, as according to Met Éireann's farming forecast, rainfall amounts will be two to four times the normal range.

In its farming bulletin, the national forecaster said the week ahead will be unsettled, bringing showers and rain and some heavy downpours at times.

It said soil conditions in fields are expected to worsen due to the rain.

Conditions at the moment are preventing planting and turning livestock out of sheds.

The forecaster said moderately or poorly drained soils will be waterlogged and all other soils will be saturated with all the forecast rainfall.

The farming forecast issued yesterday comes ahead of the publication of Met Éireann's analysis of March weather later today.

It is expected to show rainfall amounts in Ireland were 140% compared to normal, while amounts in some weather stations in the east and south of the country exceeded 200%, including Dublin Airport where rainfall was 219%, and the Phoenix Park where it was 211%.

Across farming sectors, the bad weather has severely hampered spring operations, preventing cows and cattle being turned out to graze fields where grass growth has been good.

In a normal year,
animals that had been housed over the winter would generally be in fields by day and night by the beginning of April.

Grain farmers are also struggling to plant. They have seed stored up and ready to go, but field conditions mean machinery cannot be deployed on wet soils.

The potato sector is one that is being badly affected by wet soils in fields.

Irish Farmers' Association's National Potato chairperson Sean Ryan said early planting that should have gone ahead in February did not, and only a fraction of the main crop that normally gets planted in mid-March is in the ground.

He said the current bad weather comes after last year's harvest was one of the most difficult in recent memory, when many growers forced to leave potatoes in the ground as conditions prevented them being harvested.

I was going to ask a local farmer what his opinion on the report was until I heard He's quite proud to mix "Truth with Lies" - Straight from the horses mouth.o_O

Appears to be something to do with a strong El Nino year and its effect on the gulf stream.

'As its name implies, the jet stream is essentially a river of fast-moving air in the atmosphere at about the altitude where airplanes fly. It is typically a few hundred miles across, and jets can indeed save a lot of fuel if they can fly within this air current, generally from west to east.

Jet streams also have significant implications for our weather on the ground, as they more or less steer storm systems that affect the mid-latitudes. That is, they in large part determine whether parts of the United States—which lies almost entirely in the mid-latitudes between the tropics and poles in the Northern Hemisphere—will see stormy or serene weather.

As always with weather, the situation is complex. But one of the more useful signals in a forecaster's arsenal is the El Niño–Southern Oscillation in the tropical Pacific Ocean, which vacillates between warmer sea surface temperatures (El Niño), cooler ones (La Niña), and neutral conditions. This broad pattern has widespread weather implications, including the location of the jet stream.'

https://arstechnica.com/science/202...l-nino-heres-what-that-means-for-a-us-winter/

Haven't seen this as a direct explanation for all the wet weather on the Atlantic side but low pressure systems have been funneled our way since mid-summer 2023. Looks like it will continue until the El Nino pattern subsides. It's been shocking wet.

Reactions: jpc

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
Appears to be something to do with a strong El Nino year and its effect on the gulf stream.
Sure I guess we can add that to a list of weather disrupters, perhaps we may see a dry period too, after all El Nino also brings droughts through it's nature.🤓

tldr

Reaction score
Sure I guess we can add that to a list of weather disrupters, perhaps we may see a dry period too, after all El Nino also brings droughts through it's nature.🤓

Certainly should add El Nino to that list as a Pacific Ocean phenomenon that brings drier and wetter conditions across the globe. It has been an El Nino year, and the Jet Stream has been pumping wet weather systems across the Atlantic into North Western Europe, so maybe that's the reason.

Fair enough, correlation doesn't imply causation, it's just this is certainly happening and the weather bureaus (particularly the UK Met) have consistently been talking about the Jet Stream in their explanations of why we've been getting all this soggy weather.

It has been very unusual, and if this is the explanation then at least we can expect it to subside sometime. Of course, I'm on the shores of Lake Geneva so everything's dandy from my pov.

I don't think it's because some druid or shaman or Kwisatz Haderach is making it rain or anything. It's not like there has been a permanent climatic change to that of Caladan.

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
It has been very unusual, and if this is the explanation then at least we can expect it to subside sometime. Of course, I'm on the shores of Lake Geneva so everything's dandy from my pov.

Talking of POV, one will find plenty of data in the newspapers in regard to soggy agriculture over the last 10 years with plenty wet record breakers like last year which was a disastrously crap summer cold, cloudy, wet and dim. Also the year before '22 had rain all through the summer but with a dry September.
At the same time Med Europe was unusually dryzabone and worryingly droughty.

Something like 100% extra for us and 100% less for them - that was '22 then last year was record breaking washout for us, they're still suffering trauma in cork from the biblical floods.
Now this year - well you've read it so far and don't forget that the OTT rain has been regular over the last 10 years bar 1-2 quieter years but the others . . . it's all on record and plenty of it can be read on this thread.

Sure there's even a new term for the phenomenon of record breaking repeated rain deluges - Atmospheric Rivers! FFS😂

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
We have hailstones here in Massachusetts today, April 3

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
Liquid sunshine, that's what it is.

Irish Farmers' Association's National Potato chairperson Sean Ryan has said there is a likelihood of potato shortages in supermarkets later in the year as less than 50 acres of the usual 21,000 acres have actually been planted so far.

Mr Ryan's comments came as Met Éireann's farming forecast said there will be no relief from rain and sodden ground for farmers in the coming days as rainfall amounts will be two to four times the normal range.

He said: "Yes, it's very likely at this stage because there was 700 acres that were not harvested at all last year and most of them were damaged with frost, so they are gone out of the equation.

"The situation is going to be very tight and there probably will be empty shelves in supermarkets by the end of the year."

Mr Ryan said early planting that should have gone ahead in February did not, and only a fraction of the main crop that normally gets planted in mid-March is in the ground.

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
FTA above ^ ^ ^

Meanwhile there were calls for forbearance for farmers with cash flow difficulties due to mounting costs as a result of keeping livestock inside as most paddocks are still too wet to graze.

Deputy President of the IFA Alice Doyle said: "Farmers are very resilient in general but I have never seen the mood of farmers so low."

She described the mood as "on the floor" and said farmers are "under severe pressure".

Mad as Fish

Reaction score
Irish Farmers' Association's National Potato chairperson Sean Ryan has said there is a likelihood of potato shortages in supermarkets later in the year as less than 50 acres of the usual 21,000 acres have actually been planted so far.

Mr Ryan's comments came as Met Éireann's farming forecast said there will be no relief from rain and sodden ground for farmers in the coming days as rainfall amounts will be two to four times the normal range.

He said: "Yes, it's very likely at this stage because there was 700 acres that were not harvested at all last year and most of them were damaged with frost, so they are gone out of the equation.

"The situation is going to be very tight and there probably will be empty shelves in supermarkets by the end of the year."

Mr Ryan said early planting that should have gone ahead in February did not, and only a fraction of the main crop that normally gets planted in mid-March is in the ground.

So what shall we do about it?

tldr

Reaction score
Here's a forecast that wolframalpha creates when you query it.

It's for Cavan - in honour of Val, and gives a graph with estimated rainfall intensities (which is useful to know so you tell when you can safely sneak a bit a machinery onto the land).

Apparently tomorrow will be bad, and then there's a windstorm at the weekend. Storm Olivia is on its way. Maincrop can be sowed into May. There's going to be a lot of rolling the ground from the cattle when the weather gets better at the end of the month please God.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=weather+forecast+cavan

Here's a link to the Climate of Ireland from Met Éireann. It goes into the whole 'well we're in the North Atlantic don't you know'. February to June are normally the months of least rainfall.

Funnily, I haven't been able to find a graph with the yearly rainfall totals for the last twenty years anywhere - it's all buried in spreadsheets somewhere. The worst of it has been the consecutive days of rainfall and the short intervals between downpours.

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, I'm over rain at this point.

Last week I was having some turf delivered. About 100SQM. I was forecast for 0-10MM. Ok, sure, I think. That's bearable.

It rained all day. 60MM plus. I had to lay 100SQM of turf in the rain. Now, laying 100SQM of turf solo isn't the makings of a fun day at the best of times. But when you're doing that in the rain, and it's soaking into the sod of the turf you're laying, making each square 3x heavier, and you're sinking into the sod on the ground as you're laying it....yeah, it's horrific.

Not as though I had a choice, though. Once it's cut from the farm, it needs to be put down the day it's delivered, otherwise it dies, and for this particular delivery I'd have been 1.5K out of pocket only to create waste. So pony up it was.

Still, it was definitely a 'I'm getting too old for this shit' moment.

willow

Reaction score
Bad Weather = = Never happened in Ireland before ;) :D 😲
That's true. But as a small grower conditions are horrendous. I'm on the West coast and everything is well behind or rotting. Big storm system building for the weekend. Bees are late apart from the few bumbles. This chemtrailing poison is destroying everything. Very downhearted tbh. Yes I will continue but the destruction is coming from all angles.

willow

Reaction score
Here's a forecast that wolframalpha creates when you query it.

It's for Cavan - in honour of Val, and gives a graph with estimated rainfall intensities (which is useful to know so you tell when you can safely sneak a bit a machinery onto the land).

Apparently tomorrow will be bad, and then there's a windstorm at the weekend. Storm Olivia is on its way. Maincrop can be sowed into May. There's going to be a lot of rolling the ground from the cattle when the weather gets better at the end of the month please God.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?i=weather+forecast+cavan

Here's a link to the Climate of Ireland from Met Éireann. It goes into the whole 'well we're in the North Atlantic don't you know'. February to June are normally the months of least rainfall.

Funnily, I haven't been able to find a graph with the yearly rainfall totals for the last twenty years anywhere - it's all buried in spreadsheets somewhere. The worst of it has been the consecutive days of rainfall and the short intervals between downpours.
Yea and the way the last few years have been - the rain stops for weeks on end and everything goes to dust with the heavy clay soils around here. The balance we once had is gone.

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
Yea and the way the last few years have been - the rain stops for weeks on end and everything goes to dust with the heavy clay soils around here. The balance we once had is gone.
I'm on clay and it's a huge problem. The main issue is that it's more or less unbeatable, because it never becomes porous. This is in Australia mind you, Irish clay is likely different. The way it works here is that let's say I dig a 1.5M X1.5M trench for fruit trees, and fill it with good soil, all this does is create a well. Because the clay doesn't drain, water simply pools in the hole and the roots rot out. Some things like mangos can handle it. Things like lychees just die more or less in days.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom