Weather Thread

willow

Reaction score
I'm on clay and it's a huge problem. The main issue is that it's more or less unbeatable, because it never becomes porous. This is in Australia mind you, Irish clay is likely different. The way it works here is that let's say I dig a 1.5M X1.5M trench for fruit trees, and fill it with good soil, all this does is create a well. Because the clay doesn't drain, water simply pools in the hole and the roots rot out. Some things like mangos can handle it. Things like lychees just die more or less in days.
I planted an apple tree over my black lab retriever's grave today ( the ashes not the whole dog). Crazy conditions. As you say, it does not drain. Apples can usually handle it these parts

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
I planted an apple tree over my black lab retriever's grave today ( the ashes not the whole dog). Crazy conditions. As you say, it does not drain. Apples can usually handle it these parts
I'm sorry for your loss. It's hard to lose dogs. I've got collies, always had them, and it's heartbreaking every time I have to put one down. I always say 'that's the last time, I can't handle it again' and always end up with another pup. I do the same thing, always bury them and plant a tree on the grave. I find digging the grave helps a bit psychologically somehow.

I find that anything that comes from your corner of the world does much better in the clay than other things, especially prunus sp's. They have very deep root systems that seem to be able to tolerate waterlogging unlike tropical species. I suppose they're evolved to handle prolonged, wet conditions.

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
So what shall we do about it?
That's for the farmers and gov reps to decide, it's their country, their industry.
We the consumers get potatoes from a global supply chain and traditionally get delicious potatoes from Cyprus etc.
It may sound daft (as it is) but if Med countries are experiencing bigger damaging droughts as we get bigger rainfalls then perhaps we should be running a freshwater pipeline over to continental Europe and on to where it's needed.

Catalonia declares a drought emergency​

Officials in Spain's northeast region of Catalonia declared a drought emergency on Thursday. Reservoirs that serve 6 million people, including the population of Barcelona, are at less than 16 per cent of their capacity, a historic low.

A 4000-5000KM pipeline is no big deal and wetter flooded north European countries can network, we've(Ireland) just to worry about sending it to France, the UN supplies the piping, see??:geek:

Fishalt

Staff member
Reaction score
That's for the farmers and gov reps to decide, it's their country, their industry.
We the consumers get potatoes from a global supply chain and traditionally get delicious potatoes from Cyprus etc.
It may sound daft (as it is) but if Med countries are experiencing bigger damaging droughts as we get bigger rainfalls then perhaps we should be running a freshwater pipeline over to continental Europe and on to where it's needed.

Officials in Spain's northeast region of Catalonia declared a drought emergency on Thursday. Reservoirs that serve 6 million people, including the population of Barcelona, are at less than 16 per cent of their capacity, a historic low.

A 4000-5000KM pipeline is no big deal and wetter flooded north European countries can network, we've(Ireland) just to worry about sending it to France, the UN supplies the piping, see??:geek:
I have met a few Catalonians, they're nice people. Earthy. I hope it picks up for them.

Mad as Fish

Reaction score

We can’t even build one from the Shannon to Dublin or fix those that are under the streets already.

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score

clarke-connolly

Reaction score

I remember it well. those were the days when we actually could get sunburned out in the sun, not so in recent times.
What a joke today's Irish summers are in comparison.
These days, the sun blocker is sprayed on, and you wouldn't even notice.
Yeah = = The Global Warming is Fierce Cooling altogether ! !

Professor

Too Good for the Too Bad
Reaction score
Yeah = = The Global Warming is Fierce Cooling altogether ! !
Keeping it real, good on you CC.

Since the 1940s, scientists have studied ways to increase rainfall with the goal of increasing precipitation in arid and semi-arid climates. Today, that endeavor is making incredible leaps and bounds as scientists and engineers apply nanotechnology to improve the effectiveness of cloud seeding.

valamhic

Reaction score
Are you in Australia too?

valamhic

Reaction score

willow

Reaction score
Are you in Australia too?
No. The Kingdom. About to be blown to smithereens as all my fruit trees have opened their buds. Well it'll all be burnt by Sunday from the salt wind. I'm just in from tying everything that's not nailed down effing and blinding at the weather makers. No apples this year here in the Wesht. Don't start me on waterlogged spud beds, rhubarb, etc. Disgusted.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Lady Willow, you might be able to help me.

I've got a bush at the front of the house which was a pain in the arse to climb up and keep trimmed at the top. So I decided to just cut around four feet off it.

Now its shaped like a bucket.

How can I get it rounded off at the top so that it looks circular again rather than a boiled egg that's just had the top knocked off?

willow

Reaction score
Lady Willow, you might be able to help me.

I've got a bush at the front of the house which was a pain in the arse to climb up and keep trimmed at the top. So I decided to just cut around four feet off it.

Now its shaped like a bucket.

How can I get it rounded off at the top so that it looks circular again rather than a boiled egg that's just had the top knocked off?
What kind of bush is it. You may have shocked it and it is sulking. Conifers take that sort of thing personally.Can you identify one leader branch that would grow up for height or is all bucket shaped😁

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom