Is The Economy Just Now Falling Apart

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
Its going up by the hour in Ireland, each delivery at least. It is 1.89 in places.
What is the breaking point price Val??
The nice round 2 euro?
Because that 11c and a bit more is needed to catch up with the crude price which likely equates to #2.25.
Ireland has a far far higher % of diesel drivers and I imagine the temptation to use red diesel bought months ago, is over-whelming.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
Oh, it's illegal here as well. However, the likelihood of getting caught is slim to none, since passenger vehicles don't have to pass through lorry scales (where there are frequent checks).
Do you happen to know the cost of ag diesel, relative to the passenger diesel.
I might get a sprinter.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
For you it would be about $.50 cents cheaper. MA and fed taxes are $.24 a pop. In CA, it would be $.92 less.
Interesting. But in Ireland I believe the difference is far greater. 50c is not much for here.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
Well oil has opened for trade in Asia and it isup another 10 dollars so add another 25c a litre.
Tally ho.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
Sounds like a good watering hole.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
In America, what does the figure at the end of the advertised price mean? Say 5.43 (9/10)

In Ireland they use the .99 to keep it under the full figure.
It is the same, just the decimal point, so it is a penny higher than the figure.

I assume this goes back to the days when gas was say 23c a gallon and then the percentages meant something.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
Listening to Joe on RTE,
A fishing boat captain said they did not go out for the 10 days to catch the rest of their monthly quota because the fish were valued at 27000 and the diesel cost 30000 euro.

no fish

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
If things keep going as they are Dan Jnr will have to offload the Stang asap.

I'm running a diesel Corolla to keep costs down. Americans might have to consider going compact also if this oil crises deepens.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
If things keep going as they are Dan Jnr will have to offload the Stang asap.

I'm running a diesel Corolla to keep costs down. Americans might have to consider going compact also if this oil crises deepens.
It is garaged for the winter and needs the rear end rebuilt as well, coming out in a couple of weeks.

There is no real economy cars here, 25 might is considered decent.

About 30 years ago we had the VW jetty diesel that got very close to 50mpg but long gone. Too many emission regulations.

Also, people do not like diesels here.

And the us brands made horrific diesels in the 80s. I had one myself, a Chevy caprice wagon diesel. The head gasket went.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
The engine blocks (small-block Chevrolet/Oldsmobile 350 or 5.7L) were practically the same as those for the gasoline engines and they couldn't handle all the additional compression. If you drove them like an old granny though, they actually lasted. Another problem was that diesel fuel at that time in the States was water-logged but General Motors in their infinite wisdom, neglected to install a water separator for the fuel system.

Interesting point on the VW Jetta. My nephew bought a VW Caddy (mini-truck) with a diesel a few years back and because of its age (early 80's model), it's exempt from emissions testing.
The caprice I had was the 5.7 litre engine. It was a beauty and rode like a boat.

I wish I had bought a jetta diesel

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
There is no real economy cars here, 25 might is considered decent.
Ach yis must have small cars that are easy on gas?

Subcompact would be too small for the US (Fiesta, Yaris etc) but there's gotta be Compacts (Focus, Golf etc) that do good mileage?

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
I paid $6.19 yesterday.
Val that's é1.50 per Litre.

T100, the average price in Ireland is around é2.00 per L. So its around a third dearer here. It used to be twice as expensive here but you guys are catching up.

Last edited:

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
Val that's é1.50 per Litre.

T100, the average price in Ireland is around é2.00 per L. So its around a third dearer here. It used to be twice as expensive here buy you guys are catching up.
that is because the non tax portion, the small part is increasing in both places. I am amazed the irish moan about the garage making maybe 4% and tax being recently 70% or more

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
I don't mind the garage making some. What I do mind is when there's an increase in the price of crude they shoot their prices up instantly.

But when there's a reduction they say "It takes time to trickle down to the forecourt".

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
I don't begrudge them. Plus people buy more when prices are rising and less when it looks like falling a bit more and they wait

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
I don't understand that statement.

They buy their stock at a certain price but instead of selling it at that price plus their percentage, they immediately increase the price if crude goes up.

However, when crude goes down they say 'ah we'll have to wait a few days before we can reduce prices..

That, Sir, is what's called bullsh1t.

Declan

Administrator
Staff member
New
Reaction score
From your viewpoint maybe. But how is it different from cattle for example. I buy 5 cattle and they go up and I sell them for a profit. Fair enough.

But if I buy and the price goes down I am supposed to pass good fortune onto my customer.

No. I must sell my cattle for as much as I can regardless.

I am not Mother Theresa or Santa.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom