Moore Street

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
I'm 52 years of age, live in the west of Ireland now, but I spent the first 15 years of my life in Dublin. My parents were from the west of Ireland and moved to Dublin in the 50's. They loved Dublin.

I hate being maudlin and all that, but for the last few weeks I've been watching footage of Moore Street back in the day and Moore Street now.

Completely heart-breaking.

There used to be a program back in the late 70's and early 80's called - ME JEWEL AND DARLIN' DUBLIN.

It was hosted by an old Dubliner called Eamon Mac Thomais.

Basically the program was him just rambling around Dublin town, pointing at buildings, monuments, churches etc, and just giving his spiel on things. There was another great program back in them days too hosted by a Dutch guy (I think) - Gerrit Van Geldren - and the show was called - TO THE WATERS AND THE WILD.

It was a beautiful program - he used to go all around Ireland and do sketches of the native plants and animals while he spoke about how beautiful Ireland was.

Most of my generation remember the two programs I'm talking about with great fondness.

Anyway - I've been watching the old dears and old gents of Moore Street over the last few weeks on YouTube and have also watched a few clips of that street now.

This destruction happened on my watch, your watch, our watch.

Tragic.

Moore Street when I was a kid -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hy4Az3Z9nBQ

(this lady is worth an entire conference)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yRJZhZklqc

check out the singer at 23 mins 10 seconds of the following vid -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG1JY4hMJo0

and then check them all singing and dancing after.

Moore Street now -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViMM7umxAGg

R.I.P Moore Street/Dublin/Ireland.

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
Is doesn't really affect me that much to be quite honest.

You're concerned about a street, whereas I'm concerned about a country, a people, a race and a civilisation.

You're more of a microcosmic (sentimental type) person. I'm more of a big picture fella.
You have just shown me what an educated fool (and philistine) you are.

You white guys are pure unpatriotic and cultureless thicks.

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
Hit a nerve did I? :)

Yeah, crying into your Guinness over Moore Street isn't much of a vision.
Fuck off out of my Moore Street thread you soulless white Protestant anti-Irish bucket of vomit.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
The redevelopment of Moore Street looks impressive to me. I think the developers (an English firm) have taken into account the historical significance of the Site and will respect it accordingly.

The Moore St group opposing it need to be flexible. The place is an absolute kip and this regen would be very good imo.

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
The redevelopment of Moore Street looks impressive to me. I think the developers (an English firm) have taken into account the historical significance of the Site and will respect it accordingly.

The Moore St group opposing it need to be flexible. The place is an absolute kip and this regen would be very good imo.
I disagree.

Cultural annihilation is not impressive to me.

Ireland is toast.

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
Why are we losing our culture? 🤔

By the way, I'd imagine a good deal of change would have happened to Moore Street even if Dublin's inner city was still Irish.
Not if the I.M.L.A. was in charge.

The daughters and grand-daughters of these mighty women would be there right now, if the I.M.L.A. were in power

They would also be selling Organic fruit and veg grown within a 20 mile radius of Moore Street.

They'd be providing the healthiest of food to the town - if we were in charge.

You Irish need a leader like me Idi, or Benito Mussollini.

Otherwise you're toast.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x96vi5SZLaE

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
The philistines on this site will never be able to appreciate the wit, the wonder, Catholicism, charm, humour (watch her talking about the Chinese lad!) good nature and above all else - motherliness of this absolute lady -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yRJZhZklqc

"Ireland is the old sow that eats her farrow."

Proof of Joyce's words is Moore Street now.

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
An incredible woman Sham. She'd be in her mid 80's now if I make that out right. Hopefully she's still with us.

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
An incredible woman Sham. She'd be in her mid 80's now if I make that out right. Hopefully she's still with us.
Hopefully Myles.

Horsebox - I'm not asking you to watch the full half hour of this, but I'd be glad if you watched two minutes of the Moore Street Ladies, after a hard weeks work, having an aul comallye in their local. The lady who sings at the point I recommend you to watch - (23 mins and 10 seconds), has the most powerful beautiful voice - then you see them all dancing and singing a comeallye after - then it finishes on another beautiful singer doing a rendition of Moore Street on a Sunday Morning.

I've watched it a good few times - but my favourite bit is the aul wan in the flowery dress and white collar who appears in the bottom left of the screen at 23 mins and 42 seconds. She's about 80 (so obviously born in and around the 1890's) and she's having the time of her life.

Also - re-watch it and look at the people in the background at the bar - they're having a hooley.

Happy Days Myles.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG1JY4hMJo0

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
The lad the lady above was talking about -

Behan in Fitzroy.jpg

bb 3.jpg

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
I love the last photo of Brendan there - a genius at work - he looks like a Greek philosopher or something.

A fucken Dublin genius with an Irish heart.

RIP Brendan and all the Moore Street Ladies you used to entertain (and probably annoy on occasion.)

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
Watched it all Sham. A lovely archive.

Yer one in the white collar is enjoying herself very much.

Mick the Butcher at 9:47. If my eyes were closed I'd swear it was John Giles. And of course yer man at 13:54 who's had an aul drop of the crayther.

Another thing that's changed is the accent. The old Dublin accent was different. For example Mick the Butcher pronounces Sunday as 'Sun-deh'.

A man you mentioned earlier, Éamonn Mac Thomáis, used to do the same. "Sun-deh, Tues-deh, Fri-deh". Nowadays the young working class lads speak with a weird kind of nasal / back of the throat thing.

Glad to see Buckley's is still there.

Thank you for this valuable reel of film Sir.

Last edited:

Myles O'Reilly

Reaction score
One of the comments from below:

I was friends with a wonderful trader from O'Moore st. Lyra was her name. I was working one day and she came into me, and said with a total serious face that she had aids. Well, my mind was totally flummoxed. She was in her 70s in the 90s which trust me when I say having a 70 year old woman telling me that she had aids leaves the mind just literally going wtf the I just hear? Then came Lyra's impish smile, knowing she just pulled a epic prank, with the words, Yes, I have aids. A bandaid, a hearing aid and a lucozade.

Idi O'Min

Reaction score
Watched it all Sham. A lovely archive.

Yer one in the white collar is enjoying herself very much.

Mick the Butcher at 9:47. If my eyes were closed I'd swear it was John Giles. And of course yer man at 13:54 who's had an aul drop of the crayther.

Another thing that's changed is the accent. The old Dublin accent was different. For example Mick the Butcher pronounces Sunday as 'Sun-deh'.

A man you mentioned earlier, Éamonn Mac Thomáis, used to do the same. "Sun-deh, Tues-deh, Fri-deh". Nowadays the young working class lads speak with a weird kind of nasal / back of the throat thing.

Glad to see Buckley's is still there.

Thank you for this valuable reel of film Sir.
Love the way the ladies pronounce parsnips and sprouts.

Parsnoooops. Sprooooots.

I'm going to use that from here on in.

Popular Threads

Top Bottom