There is no God

AUL LAD

New
Reaction score
The problem is that the core reason for people rejecting the existence of God in the contemporary once you scratch even a bit is the so-called problem of evil.
but would you ask them does evil rule the world .
everything mutates normal cells will mutate to cancer cells and 3 out of 4 will die of some kind of cancer .
there is a volcano in iceland should god take the blame --some bodys child will die in the next few moments is god responsible and why is he responsible .
there are millions of people who hope for a messiah who will exterminate most of the worlds billions and leave them ""gods chosen people "" alive and able to enslave the remainder for eternity.
who are gods people who or what is the god who would do such a thing --the equation is their god is the most supremely evil based on his murder rate and therefore the supreme being is the most evil being .

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score
An excellent treatise on the age old problem of evil in the world. Here's the thing fellas: Cleverer people than you an I have been addressing this issue for centuries, and doing a very good job of it.

When you bring up this problem, as being the basis for your unbelief, what you are in fact doing is telling us, is that you are not a reader, and have never honestly investigated the matter.
PXL_20231224_172946517.jpg
PXL_20231224_173103129.MP.jpg

Venite Adoremus!

Tuco Salamanca

Reaction score
The problem is that the core reason for people rejecting the existence of God in the contemporary once you scratch even a bit is the so-called problem of evil.

This always struck me as a very simplistic reason to reject the existence of a God. It's really only relevant to religions where the deity is believed to actively intervene in human affairs.

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score
It is disingenuous for the atheist to reject the idea of God based on the problem and existence of evil. For the material atheist, there logically can be no such thing as 'evil' per se, in a universe that is nothing more than the material results of a cosmic accident in the distant past.

There is no good or evil in the atheist's world, only accidental being. Any concept of evil for the atheist, is in fact, nothing more than a figment of his/her imagination. In a secular material world, things only happen, and there is no good or evil behind these events.

It makes no sense to be angry at a God that doesn't exist for you, when 'bad' things occur. The very idea of 'badness' is irrational in a purely material and accidental cosmos

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score
This always struck me as a very simplistic reason to reject the existence of a God. It's really only relevant to religions where the deity is believed to actively intervene in human affairs.

Why should God necessarily be good or more to the point good as you understand goodness?

This comes out of generally how Christianity (both Catholicism and Protestantism) is often taught or presented in the contemporary West.

K

Kangal

It is disingenuous for the atheist to reject the idea of God based on the problem and existence of evil. For the material atheist, there logically can be no such thing as 'evil' per se, in a universe that is nothing more than the material results of a cosmic accident in the distant past.

There is no good or evil in the atheist's world, only accidental being. Any concept of evil for the atheist, is in fact, nothing more than a figment of his/her imagination. In a secular material world, things only happen, and there is no good or evil behind these events.

It makes no sense to be angry at a God that doesn't exist for you, when 'bad' things occur. The very idea of 'badness' is irrational in a purely material and accidental cosmos
PG, did you actually write this yourself?

This is one of the best posts I have seen here.

Tuco Salamanca

Reaction score
Why should God necessarily be good or more to the point good as you understand goodness?

This comes out of generally how Christianity (both Catholicism and Protestantism) is often taught or presented in the contemporary West.

To take a quasi-Nietzchean view of the matter, a hypothetical supreme being would act out of necessity as it saw fit in pursuit of its end objective.
These actions may occasionally overlap with human notions of 'good' and 'evil', but ultimately such a being would act as it deemed necessary in pursuit of its goal.

K

Kangal

You haven't felt my genius in the Flat Earth thread? :unsure:
That's why I thought it was a copy.

Still waiting for your "curve" calculator. Hermit posted three that conform a spherical Earth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zipporah's Flint

Staff member
Reaction score

I don't think it is an at all rational reason to reject the existence of God or at least a God- so why it leads people to atheism in the contemporary West and not say Marcionism I find a bit odd, though when I asked that question of Mercurial he became interested in Marcionism which he had not come across before.

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom