To The Moon

Wolf

Reaction score
Nothing much until about 1.08pm and then it would get very dark and the planet would continue its motion in a straight line into outer space (where we'd all like to send Wolf)
Ahem....where you and your two accounts would like to send me.
You're hated here, Kiddo, despised by everyone.👍

#RentFree

valamhic

Reaction score
I agree on light
Nothing much until about 1.08pm and then it would get very dark and the planet would continue its motion in a straight line into outer space (where we'd all like to send Wolf)
I agree about the light turning dark. But what about gravity. Is the effect of gravity limited by the speed of light?

Surely is the sun suddenly ceased to exist, there would be nothing holding the earth in its orbit and it would go off in a straight line at 1 pm. We would still have light until 1.08 pm so we would notice very little for 8 minutes.

Hermit

Reaction score
You asked all this before. I posted the responses before that conclusively answer your questions. Use the search function.
I refuted Cavendish and you avoided answering certain parts of my questions. Now you're obfuscating again when I challenge you to provide the experiment after you had a snipe at me to Val.

Cavendish is not a scientific experiment, and even the original paper describes the "experiment" as an attempt to calculate the density of earth, not prove the existence of gravity, because it already assumes gravity is true. Mass attracting mass is a theory that even Newton himself disowned. Gravity is no longer defined as mass attracts mass.

valamhic

Reaction score
Yes (in the Newtonian model it was thought to be instantaneous) but nothing propagates faster than light. Which of course puts some of the spooky into 'spooky action at a distance' :) Wendy is your expert on quantum entanglement

If gravity was instantaneous, you're a few hundred years out of date Val :)
electromagnetic radiation is attracted my gravity. The gravity can be from a mass or from other magnetic radiation.

So radio waves are attracted to light.

valamhic

Reaction score
Yes (in the Newtonian model it was thought to be instantaneous) but nothing propagates faster than light. Which of course puts some of the spooky into 'spooky action at a distance' :) Wendy is your expert on quantum entanglement

If gravity was instantaneous, you're a few hundred years out of date Val :)
Gravity does not travel, so it can be instantaneous

Hermit

Reaction score
Despite evidence and an experimental setup that even you Val could set up in your kitchen, Hermit conrinues to be ignorant of this force that dominates our daily existence.
Even your hero, Sabine, says gravity is NOT a force:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3LjJeeae68

Poppycock

Isaac Newton on mass attracting mass:
"It is inconceivable that inanimate brute matter should, without the mediation of something else, which is not material, operate upon, and effect other matter without mutual contact, as it must be if gravitation in the sense of Epicurus be essential and inherent in it.

And this is one reason why I desired you would not ascribe innate gravity to me. That gravity should be innate, inherent and essential to matter, so that one body may act upon another at a distance through a vacuum, without the mediation of anything else, by and through which their action and force may be conveyed from one to another, is to me a great absurdity, and I believe that no man who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking, can ever fall into it.

Gravity must be caused by an agent acting constantly according to certain laws; but whether this agent be material or immaterial I have left to the consideration of my reader."

Hermit

Reaction score
I think you are beginning to learn. Hermit.

This is good.
You said gravity is a force, when even globe believers say it is not a force, so you're the one who's learning something here.

Still waiting for that experiment...

Gravity 2.png

Hermit

Reaction score
That doesn't corroborate anything you said
It does.

I said:
Mass attracting mass is a theory that even Newton himself disowned. Gravity is no longer defined as mass attracts mass.
You said:
Poppycock
Newton's quote corroborates my claim that he disowned mass attracts mass - he said it was a "great absurdity":
"It is inconceivable that inanimate brute matter should, without the mediation of something else, which is not material, operate upon, and effect other matter without mutual contact, as it must be if gravitation in the sense of Epicurus be essential and inherent in it.

And this is one reason why I desired you would not ascribe innate gravity to me. That gravity should be innate, inherent and essential to matter, so that one body may act upon another at a distance through a vacuum, without the mediation of anything else, by and through which their action and force may be conveyed from one to another, is to me a great absurdity, and I believe that no man who has in philosophical matters a competent faculty of thinking, can ever fall into it.

Gravity must be caused by an agent acting constantly according to certain laws; but whether this agent be material or immaterial I have left to the consideration of my reader."

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score
So, we have rovers landing on mars, nine to the dozen, sending back pics like a Tiktoker. The Moon however, seems a harder nut to crack?

Of course these Mars pics are Devon Island in Canada. This fact should come as no shock to the incredulous among us.

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score
Mass attracting Mass (old theory) is grade level Newtonian physics. Long since abandoned for the new theory that gravity is a distortion of spacetime.

All just theory of course

Last edited:

PlunkettsGhost

Reaction score
So matter doesn't attract matter because Newton "disowned it" or "bendy space", any preference? 🤔
All just different flavours of unprovable nonsense James. Makes no difference what you prefer. Theorising is a great way to avoid reality however, as you know

Latest Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom